ONTAP Hardware

Cluster failover issue

UNDECIDED

Hi all,

I've setup a few netapp's before but the clustering usually is straight forward....however I now have an issue with one of my FAS2020 at a customer site that won't failover.

They have one FAS2020, the controllers are named netapp1 and netapp2, these are configured with vif0 and vif1 respectively. Clustering is licensed and enabled, if I manually initiate a takeover it works, however if I disconnect the LAN cables on either netapp the failover doesn't take place...the still connected controller status show's the cluster partner as "UP". If I ping the partner hostname before I unplug the nics I get an "alive" message, after the disconnect of the nics the ping show's that it cannot communicate with the partner...so I can't see it being a dns issue.....

Has anyone come across this before or can point me in the right direction?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NETAPPCYP

have a look at the options settings

and you need to include and entry into the /etc/rc file and the nd of the vif line nfo

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel733/html/ontap/nag/GUID-8922F521-E501-4F11-8A49-04603C5868F9.html

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

paulstringfellow

I think what you may be finding here is that disconnecting the LAN will not initiate a failover…

Doing a NIC fail does not constitute a controller failover, which is why the controllers don’t failover and show as up, the controllers don’t talk to each other over Ethernet, they talk to each other internally.

It is a bit of a pain I know…but as far as I am aware NIC down is not a fail.

What is it you are trying to do, maybe can suggest some alternative methods…

UNDECIDED

thanks, I thought that may have been the case...so is there no way to initiate the failover if the nic goes down?

I have VM's on both controllers and want the failover to work if one switch goes down so that my vm's will continue to run.

So my setup is one FAS2020 connected to two stacked switches, one controller to one switch and the other to the other, the same goes for my Virtual hosts, one host to one switch and the other to the other, so effectively two hosts to two switches...to two controllers...I want to be able to failover should half the equipment fail.

I've seen this command on another thread here...."cf.takeover.on_network_interface_failure.policy" to "any_nic" would this do it?

paulstringfellow

Thanks for putting the post up…as it didn’t realise you could force it…for me I’ve always gone with using multipathing to do it as switches are notoriously bad at allowing a VIF to be spread across multiple switches, people like Cisco do it, but not on all switches…

However seems as though there maybe a way of doing it with the VIF, although you will still have to be wary of spreading the VIF over multiple switches, as most switches can’t cope with the same MAC address been on multiple switches…so you need the switch to be able to cope or make sure the VIF is active/passive…lots to consider…be interested to see how you get on and if that switch fixes it.

NETAPPCYP

have a look at the options settings

and you need to include and entry into the /etc/rc file and the nd of the vif line nfo

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel733/html/ontap/nag/GUID-8922F521-E501-4F11-8A49-04603C5868F9.html

UNDECIDED

thanks, so in my case it would be "ifconfig vif0 nfo" on one controller and "ifconfig vif1 nfo" on the other.....is there a way to set the timeout so it happens within a few second?

NETAPPCYP

at the end of the current line in the /etc/rc where it creates the vif just add the nfo, don't create a new line.

the failover happens also immediately, quick enough for nfs, iscsi applications to not be disrrupted.

if you want to discuss this skype me: michailm33

gl

UNDECIDED

I think my company block Skype..

I see you have CYP at the end of your screen name...stand for Cyprus by any chance?

OK, just seen your profile!

I'm in Limassol, afgaristo bolli yia din voithesma

NETAPPCYP

yes that is corret I'm based in Cyprus, where are you based?

UNDECIDED

I'm in Limassol, afgaristo bolli yia din voithesma

NETAPPCYP

at which company do you work?

Public