ONTAP Hardware

Create and and then rename a Vfiler

RYDERNETAPP

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to all the Netapp stuff so bare with me, I've got an old windows file server and want to move the data to my Netapp i want to keep the name of the windows server so user don't need to be remapped to the netapp. I was going to create a vfiler, then copy the data from the windows server using robo copy and then rename the vfiler, is this possible if so how do i do it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

That works...the same as a physical controller or vFiler.  Create the vFiler and join to the domain, for example "servername-new" then robocopy the data... when ready to cutover, decommission the windows server, run "vfiler rename" then 'cifs terminate' and 'cifs setup' to rejoin the domain under the original server name or create a cifs netbios alias.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

crocker

is this one that your team handles or should the question be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

scottgelb

That works...the same as a physical controller or vFiler.  Create the vFiler and join to the domain, for example "servername-new" then robocopy the data... when ready to cutover, decommission the windows server, run "vfiler rename" then 'cifs terminate' and 'cifs setup' to rejoin the domain under the original server name or create a cifs netbios alias.

RYDERNETAPP

Thanks, I'd been trying to work this out and got as far as renaming etc but couldn't re run the cifs setup, the terminate cmd works a treat 😉

scottgelb

It doesn't update DNS but the name will likely stay the same A record too.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

RYDERNETAPP

Yep, i was just going to delete the old A record and create a new one for the new name

Public