FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Does provisioning a LUN of type Windows work when you want to configure Hyper Clustering Work

EdgarChikomo

Hi Guys. I have two host servers (running Windows Server 2012 R2) that have LUNs (Windows type) provisioned from Netapp Storage. One server is currently hosting 2 Hyper V Virtual machines – one for Exchange and the other a Windows Domain Controller with Active Directory. On the other host Hyper V is not yet configured. We now want to configure High Availability for the 2 virtual machines so we want to build a cluster for the two servers. I now want to provision more LUNs in addition to those that are already provisioned to the hosts (that are of a LUN type Windows). The recommended LUN type for clustering is Hyper V but the 2 virtual machines I am building a cluster for are already sitting on a LUN type of Windows. For LUN type uniformity does it matter if I go on and provision LUNs of Windows type for clustering? Do LUNs of windows type work when configuring clustering?

Also since the LUNs that the 2 VMs sit on were originally created being of type windows can they be converted to Hyper V type. Will the conversion process be destructive?

What is the best way to go about this task. I do not want to destroy the 2 virtual machines that are already in production

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Does provisioning a LUN of type Windows work when you want to configure Hyper Clustering Work

Jeff_Yao

hi

this kb detaily explains about lun type and misalignment issue.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka31A00000013R2QAI/how-to-diagnose-misaligned-i-o-based-on-lun-type-on-windows-hosts?language=en_US

hopefully helps for your question

thanks

Jeff

View solution in original post

Re: Does provisioning a LUN of type Windows work when you want to configure Hyper Clustering Work

EdgarChikomo

Thanks Jeff i'm answered now

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public