ONTAP Hardware

Ds14mk4 INTERPOSER Fails

MrLuke

hi everyone

Problem i got is im switching to INTERPOSER 65695-02 for more storage capacity

plug drive into interposer and plug into ds14mk4, turn on ds14mk4, drive starts flash green then continues flashing amber light, cant see drive

Setup Im using

Windows server 2012 R2, with FC Card and see all fc drives i had in ds14mk4

any over info need to know just ASK

Thanks luke

4 REPLIES 4

georgevj

The drives that you use should have a supported firmware in order to be supported by the ESH modules on the shelf. If you are using thirdparty drives, the ESH may not be able to talk to the drives.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

MrLuke

hi

thanks for quick replay

yes they are third paty drives out of old server, im guessing now they using custom firmware wich esh cant read the?

*upgrading firmware on drive would be way to go or waste of time?

*if waste of time what about replace esh mouldle with diffrent type?

thanks, hope i dint waste my money

georgevj

Unfortunately, I am afraid that this would not work. Upgrading a thirdparty drive to netapp firmware may destroy the dirive itself beyond repair. Regarding the ESH, it has to talk to the drives as well as the FAS controller. Replacing an I/O module with thirdparty devices is also impossible. You had better use the drives on the server itself, and get some netapp branded drives in your disk shelves.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

georgevj

Just in case, if you want to use the shelf as a JBOD, here is another post which can help.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/FAS-and-V-Series-Storage-Systems-Discussions/DS14MK4-with-2x-ESH4-running-without-head-unit-Home-Storage-Setup/m-p/5138...

Well, this is not NetApp recommended solution, take care if you want to do it.

Public