ONTAP Hardware

FAS 2240 -2 Startup and Interfaces config

ARUN_BENCHMARK

Hi Support

We have a Net app FAS2240 with 2 controllers to be installed . As it is First time Installation for me it would be great if I get a little bit assistance from your end.

I am Having Win7 64 bit Client installed with System Setup 2.3 with the cable connected to the Switch running from the Wrench ports to same switch as my client connected. When I hit the discover icon I can’t see any discovery happening. Just need some help to know how to start with. What IP address I have to set in my Client machine for discovery. I don’t have a DHCP server installed on site so how will the Netapp provide itself some random ip. Could you give me if there is any Default IP to be searched so I will set my client in that range.

Thanks for understanding

Arun

13 REPLIES 13

aborzenkov

If you do not have DHCP, you need to connect to serial console and complete initial setup, at the least - assign IP addresses to filers. Each filer head has to be setup separately. I believe it is all documented in software setup guide.

ARUN_BENCHMARK

Hi

I Tried some of these commands connecting the Serial

ifconfig e0 <IP Address> but it is saying invalid command and it is listing some commands to be used.I know these are basic linux commands and Since it is not running. It would be grt if you help me . Do i have to enter Any privileged mode or something with Login and Password.

pls advise

StorageAddict

Arun,

NetApp System Setup Manager has a built in DHCP server to provide the random IP address when it's doing it's discovery. Please follow this link and download the latest version of the tool.  http://support.netapp.com/NOW/public/system_setup/

After downloading and installing the latest version, please follow the steps below.

• You'll need to reboot the controllers in the proper sequence (very important):
  • Power off the controllers at both power supplies
  • Start discovery in System Setup
  • Power on both power supplies
  • Wait for both nodes to be discovered (several minutes)

Please update this thread and let us know what happens.

/Mark

Mark Clayton
Principal Architect, NCDA|NCIE, NetApp A-Team
Lenovo
919-522-3767 Mobile
mclayton@netapp.com
@storageaddict

GODSADMIN

McLayton, I didn't know that about System Setup Manager.  With the DHCP server thing...that's cool.  You learn something new everyday.

StorageAddict

Watch this video on my YouTube channel and it will show you from start to finish that you can have a HA pair setup in less than 4min.

NetApp System Setup Manager

http://youtu.be/HyAk4zY-lk0

/Mark

Mark Clayton
Lenovo
919-522-3767 Mobile
mclayton@netapp.com
@storageaddict

ARUN_BENCHMARK

Hi MClayton

I tried the same way as the Video states. But the problem was the video states an APIPA Address or machine Address but when I do set DHCP in my laptop and also I guess it runs DHCP in the Netapp server but I have added a screenshot here. It looks like this.

It doesn’t Show the Connection and the Discover button doent enable. And I tried through console also. LOADER A> ifconfig e0M still it say ip addr not set. Im running out of ideas. How can I enter inside. Kindly help

Arun

aborzenkov

If it seats on LOADER A> it means it does not boot (it is in BIOS). In console use commands “autoboot” or “boot_ontap” (without quotes).

ARUN_BENCHMARK

Hi

Thanks for your reply but when we press 1 for normal boot, it restart and came at press CTRL-C for boot menu screen. Do I need to do a maintenance boot pls advice

aborzenkov

It depends what messages are when it restarts. It may mean some boot options are screwed up or it may also mean it is not installed. Where does it come from? Is it new system from factory?

Please enable terminal log and paste all messages after you press 1 until it reboots again.

ARUN_BENCHMARK

Yes it is a new system from Factory. Do I need to download and install something

aborzenkov

I do not know without seeing logs. But if this is new system, I suggest you open support case.

StorageAddict

Arun,

From the CLI, you can run the command >setup and it will start a wizard that will walk you through setting up the system within 10min. That being said, there would be some more fine tuning on the system you would have to do manually. These fine tuning steps are all handled automatically with the System Setup Manager. After reviewing your screenshot, it appears that there's still something incorrect with either the cabling of the systems, or your laptop or desktop that your running the tool from may not be on the same network or VLAN as the NetApp controllers your attempting to set up. The System Setup Manager is specifically looking for the MAC address of the NetApp devices, if it's not seeing anything then there's a networking issue here that needs to be figured out.

Please make sure your cabled correctly, and the ports are configured correctly like the picture on the poster provided with your systems.

If your still having issues, then please contact NetApp Support at 1.888.4.NETAPP for further help.

/Mark

Mark Clayton
Lenovo
919-522-3767 Mobile
mclayton@netapp.com
@storageaddict

GODSADMIN

http://www.putty.org Aborzenkov is right.  You must connect with a serial cable to the wrench ports via a SSH client like Putty [download for free} or HyperTerminal  [which is no longer included with current MS operating systems, but that also can be downloaded].   I use Hyperterm with these settings: Bits per sec - 9600,  Data bits - 8, Parity - None, Stop bits - 1,  Flow control - None.  Once connected you can run the Setup program during which you will set IP addresses for the various Ethernet ports, e0a, e0b etc.among other basic settings, e.g. hostname, DNS, WINS etc.

Hope this helps.

Public