ONTAP Hardware

FAS 2240 reset w/o saving data & general Netapp terminology

Martins_Rubenis

Hello.

This thread should be easy for people, who have been working with netapp for some time. For me, however, this stuff is very new and frustrating.
Ok, here is the deal.

We got a Netapp FAS 2240-2 system. The guys, who worked with this device previously, just removed it from their environment, without any resetting or anything. Now the hardware is mounted into our rack and I`m trying to get the software to do the right thing, but got lost in terminology, Netapp documentation, cables and CLI commands..

So Can anyone please help me regarding this?

Can you please point out, where I could find explanation about terminology Netapp uses? There are nodes, storage-processors, controller-modules, wrench ports, clusters, ONTAP , 7-MODE, etc, etc. I have worked with EMC previously and it seems that they are naming stuff a little bit differently.

Now, moving to a little bit more technical stuff. How do I need to install the wiring on this beast? I have connected the power, SAS connections between nodes (hope I`m using the right name here), ACP cables between nodes. Then on one node I have connected management port to the management switch, data ports to data switch. Do I need to do this with the other node aswell? In the setup guide, there are management and data connections to the switch only from one node.. This got me a bit confused.

Now, after the cabling is done, I connected to the device through serial port, got into bootmentu, resetted both nodes and did initial config on both nodes through terminal. After this I ran system setup from my win laptop. It discovered both nodes and showed them in the list , but setup gave me an error, which stated "too few cluster ports configured" on both nodes. What to do with this error?maybe my cabling is wrong? Or have I made mistakes when resetting or initial configing?

Please help me with these questions, as the HW has been lying in idle mode for too long.. And huge thanks in advance for the answers. I thinked about posting all these three questions seperately, but then again, they are from the same kind and case.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
It is technically possible to use 1GbE ports for cluster interconnect, but this is not supported configuration and you should understand that it limits total throughout that can be achieved. As this is not supported, it is not offered by setup tool also. For testing purposes you can build such cluster using CLI.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Public