ONTAP Hardware

FAS 3240 Add Hard Drive

syedkhan

Hello,

I have FAS 3240 with SATA disk and the hard drives are getting used due to our requirement. So we ordered some new drives but those drives are with different firmware will it cause issue if attached ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sahana

No, it should not pose a problem to existing drives.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

I am not aware of any issues caused by different drive firmware, but it may be good occasion to update it on all drives. Having the same version is always preferrable.

syedkhan

I cannot upgrade all my drives to the same firware. Another way out will be downgrading the new drives firmware but unfortunately the firnware is not avalaible on netapp as its too old.

aborzenkov

@syedkhan wrote:

I cannot upgrade all my drives to the same firware.

Why?

syedkhan

First I dont know how to upgrade the firmware on the drives and secondly for installing 2 new drives I should upgrade all the drives ? instead I was thinking to downgrade the 2 new drives. Your suggestions will appreciated.

Sahana

Hi

It is not recommended to downgrade the firmware. These firmware updates are critical and also have bug fixes.

Please upgrade the drive firmware to latest version  as per http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/diskfw/

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

syedkhan

ok thanks for the answer . My question is what the newly added drives with new firmware will pose a problem with existing drives with old firmware ? 

Sahana

No, it should not pose a problem to existing drives.

Public