ONTAP Hardware

FAS2050 standard licenses

ROMAN7927

Hello,

I got a used FAS2050 with two controllers. Rebooted it, CTRL-C, option 4a, it initialized drives and erased configuraiton. Now if I do license list nothing is licensed. How do I now license the default features that are standard included, for example clustering and CIFS?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

I’m sorry… I saw 250 on the first post… 2050 does cluster. The older 250 did not. You will need a cluster license and yes it does cluster in the 2050.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

After zeroing all licenses are removed... you have to re-add the licenses.  Unfortunately there is no transfer of licenses between customers but if you are the company who bought it, you can download the license keys from the netapp now site.  So whoever you got it from would have access to those.  A FAS250 doesn't have clustering capability so you don't need that license for the 250.

ROMAN7927

Thanks Scott. Is running two controllers in active/active called 'clustering'?

scottgelb

Correct… 2 controllers paired in a cluster.

ROMAN7927

Thanks Scott. We got FAS2050 with dual controllers. Why did you say there's no clustering capability in your previous post. I was hoping to run them in active/active, where controller 1 is responsible for the the first 10 drives, and controller 2 for the second 10 drives (each one with an aggregate with 7data+2parity+1spair). And if one of the controllers fails, the second controller picks up both aggregate.

scottgelb

I’m sorry… I saw 250 on the first post… 2050 does cluster. The older 250 did not. You will need a cluster license and yes it does cluster in the 2050.

scottgelb

I read too fast and saw 250 instead of what you actually wrote, 2050   ADHD or something... but you are correct you can cluster a 2050.  The older 250 did not cluster.

ROMAN7927

Excellent, thank you for clarification. Now, I hope the seller still has the licenses. Are licenses just a string of alphanumeric characters for each feature? I hope they have them, otherwise I'm not sure what else we can do. Do you see any issues with the my approach I've mentioned above?

aggregate 1 on controller 1

> 10 300GB drives: 7 data + 2 double parity + 1 spare

>> flexible volume, should be around 2TB with dedup

>>> CIFS access

Same thing on the second controller and 10 drives

Thanks for your help!

scottgelb

Yes...alphanumeric... but officially not legal since no transfer of licenses but out of the scope of this...   That is a good plan... 1 spare is plenty on a small system and 7 data drives per node.

ROMAN7927

Thank you

Public