FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

FAS2240-2 Ethernet Connectivity Options

DAMIENMILLER

We are looking at integrating a FAS2240-2 into our system but I have run into planning problems when it comes to Ethernet connectivity.

I cannot seem to find an exact answer for what type of 10Gb connection is available from the additional i/o 2x10g ports.

Our pair of Nexus switches offer 10base-t rj45 as well as QSFP break out cables.  I would like to use qsfp to sfp+ fiber cables with the FAS2240 10g ports. 

Can someone confirm the following for me please?

• What 10G io card part number works with the FAS2240-2?
  • This card that does work in the 2240 accepts what type of 10g connector?

NetApp lists part numbers for cisco compatible twinax sfp+ cables, X-SFP-H10GB-CU3M-R6 - is only copper available, can we use fiber qsfp to sfp+ breakout cables?

Thanks for the help

3 REPLIES 3

Re: FAS2240-2 Ethernet Connectivity Options

aborzenkov

Are those cables with integrated SFP+ or just QSFP to optical? Mezzanine LAN card supports optical SFP+ but you need to order specific model from NetApp.

murzic2000

FAS2240-2 supports only one 10GbE mezzanine card: X1160A-R6 2p 10GbE NIC Op

This card requires X6589-R6 SFP+ optical module or copper twinax cable. The X6589-R6 SFP+ module is optional and NOT included with the 10GbE mezzanine adapter by default.

Optical SFP+ module uses multi-mode SR cabel.

May be you should use this adaptor for your Cisco switch (CVR-QSFP-SFP10G Cisco QSA Module)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-729336.pdf

View solution in original post

DAMIENMILLER

Thanks for the clarification on the modules required.

The Cisco cable I had in mind was a QSFP 40G to 4x 10G sfp+ twinax. Cisco P/N QSFP-4SFP10G-CU3M

The reason for this is we have 4 spare 10G sfp+ direct attach plugs left to attach to the NetApp as the other four are being used as uplinks in the network.

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public