ONTAP Hardware

FAS2240 Configuration Question

JFGANTECH

I have found conflicting information regarding the possibility of connecting a single DS2246 shelf and a single DS4243 disk shelf to a FAS2240-2. If this is in fact a valid configuration I would be interested in locating infromation on how to cable SAS and ACP connections.

6 REPLIES 6

vmsjaak13

Hello,

this is supported.

SAS and ACP cabling rules and examples can be found in the Universal SAS and ACP cabling guide: https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/filer/215-05500_B0.pdf

Regards,

Niek Baakman

JFGANTECH

Hi Niek

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Rick Falter

MCSE, VCP, NetApp NCDA, NCIE-SAN

Systems Engineer

radek_kubka

Hi and welcome to the Community!

It is supported, indeed

Have a look at this doc, p16:

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/ci_getfile.asp?method=1&uid=7178&docid=37324

Yes, you can mix DS2246 and DS4243 on the single FAS2240 SAS stack but you should minimize transitions between the two shelves types. It should be noted mixing DS2246 and DS4243 is only supported on FAS2240 and no other platforms.

Regards,

Radek

JFGANTECH

Hi Radek -

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I am not certain what is meant by "you should minimize transitions between the two shelves types". Possibly they are suggesting that like shelf types should be cabled together if there will be multiple shelves of both types ? The transition being a connection of a 2246 to a 4243 ?

Thanks

Rick Falter

Systems Engineer

radek_kubka

Yep, this is my understanding as well.

To make things more interesting, NetApp also recommends to have as few as possible cross-over points (i.e. changes from SAS to SATA technology) in a mixed SAS/SATA stack . Again, no hard numbers are provided, so in theory any combination is supported.

JFGANTECH

Also good to know. Thanks !

Rick Falter

Systems Engineer

Public