FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

FAS2552 Wrong effective size on a disk

Wodel

Hi,

I am new to the NetApp world.

We inherited two FAS2552 disk arrays with OnTap 8.2.3P3 7-Mode, each one contains 24 disks : 12 with a size of 600Go and 12 with a size of 1.8To, all the disks are 10K.

We found that we had two failed disks one on each array, so we bought two "new" disks with size of a 1.8To at 10K , at least that's what was written on the label.

We changed one of the failed disks without problem, but the second one showed us a wrong effective size.

A 1.8To disk shows : 1.64To as physical size and 1.63To as effective size, the new disk showed : 1.64 as physical size and 1.09To as effective size.

We tried zerroing the disk whithout luck.

We did return the disk for replacement and we got a new one labeled 1.8To 10K, but it was the same problem, 1.09To as effective size, and even more since this new disk was detected as 15K disk!!!!!

We did a test :

- We plugged the new disk that was correctelly recongnized on the other FAS and it was recongnized without issues.

- We plugged the new delivered disk on the other FAS and it we got the same problem : effective size and tpm

Is there other tests we can do to be sure that it's a disk problem not a disk array problem?

Regards.

1 REPLY 1

GidonMarcus

Hi

Is the disk model number recognized correctly in sysconfig -a? if it works well on the other array, I'll compare the disk qualification package between the two  (or just update it)

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/diskqual/

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public