ONTAP Hardware

FAS2650 new shelf addition

SergioS

Hello,

I have a production HA FAS2650 with no extra shelf, only the internal shelf with the looped SAS ports on both controllers:

• Controller 1 0a to Controller 2 0b
• Controller 1 0b to Controller 2 0a

Now I need to add a new shelf so my question is if I need to power off the cluster to add the shelf as I need to disconnect the SAS loop from the controllers to connect them now to the new shelf IOM A and B. In the official documentation I was not able to find the answer as this only mentions for first time setup or with additional shelfs that use only the shelf to shelf connection.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hello @SergioS,

As @shop_storage mentioned, you can hot-add the shelf if the shelf and your system meet certain requirements. When hot-adding the shelf you will momentarily see Alerts regarding losing a path to the shelf, this will be resolved once you properly complete the shelf addition.

Here is another document describing the hot-add procedure:

Hot-adding disk shelves with IOM12 modules 

Once you are done with adding the shelf then you must view and clear the alerts using:

System Health Alert Show 

System Health Alert Delete 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shop_storage

Your system must meet certain requirements before hot-adding disk shelves with IOM12 modules.

https://docs.netapp.com/platstor/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.hw-ds-sas3-icg%2FGUID-48F06421-8F5F-4417-BD6F-E5E7D21B372E.html

Hope this helps.

SergioS

Almost, the only missing part is what if this is the first shelf to be added and the system is already in production, so I need to bring it down in order to disconnect the SAS from the controllers and connect them to the shelf, or this is full hot add just like adding a shelf to an stack.

Thanks!

andris

Connecting the 1st external shelf to the controller has the same constraints.

The internal storage in the controller use the 2 x SAS cable as a redundant path - each node also has an internal path to every disk in its chassis.

tahmad

Hello @SergioS ,

Can you confirm if your question was answered.

ttran

Hello @SergioS,

As @shop_storage mentioned, you can hot-add the shelf if the shelf and your system meet certain requirements. When hot-adding the shelf you will momentarily see Alerts regarding losing a path to the shelf, this will be resolved once you properly complete the shelf addition.

Here is another document describing the hot-add procedure:

Hot-adding disk shelves with IOM12 modules 

Once you are done with adding the shelf then you must view and clear the alerts using:

System Health Alert Show 

System Health Alert Delete 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public