ONTAP Hardware

FAS2720 iSCSI and NFS with single IP address?

LSOTECHUSER

Have a new FAS2720.  Previously had a 2220 that was using 7-mode.  This FAS2720 is my first experience with clustered mode and the "new" (to me anyway) version of ontap. The SVM method is definately new to me and the way you configure interfaces is somewhat different to 7-mode.  

I have created an SVM that has both NFS and iSCSI for the purpose of attaching hosts directly to the netapp (ie, vmware and iscsi directly from servers).

When I create an interface and choose the proper SVM, I am unable to choose both NFS and iSCSI, if I choose one it then greys out the other.  Apparently, it wants me to only run one of these protocols on a single interface at one time, it doesnt appear to want iSCSI and NFS being shared. 

However, what I can do, is it will let me created two separate interfaces, 1 for NFS and then 1 for iSCSI, that both have the SAME IP address.  In 7-mode I had 1 IP address as the connection point for all services which was simple and clean in my mind.

Is this acceptable to use a single IP ?  Or should I be using separate IP addresses for both of these NFS and iSCSI interfaces?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there!

Lots of discussion here - I see we haven't got a single post which can be marked as answer yet, so I'll summarise this post for anyone finding it in the future. 

- ONTAP vs 7-mode requires a LIF on each node and ALUA setup for the client to failover pathing between them, while 7-mode used to move the IP address between nodes

- You can't use a single LIF for both ISCSI and NFS

- While you can with some difficulty use IPSpaces to use the same IP address on two different LIFs across two different ports for both protocols.. you REALLY shouldn't. 

- ALUA client config for SUSE is covered by unified host utilities as detailed at https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496244

Hope this helps someone in the future!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Public