ONTAP Hardware

FAS3160 to provide LUNs for a V3140?

thomas_glodde

Hi folks,

just out of curiosity and to have a testlab example, is there any way to have a actual FAS controller to provide storage for a NetApp V-Series?

I direct-attached a FAS3160 to a V3140 and all i get is

Wed Aug 18 14:44:39 GMT [fci.device.invalidate.soft.address:error]: Fibre Channel adapter 0c is invalidating disk drive 0c.0 (0x05000000) which appears to have taken a soft address. Expected hard address 7 (0xda), assigned soft address 0 (0xef).
Wed Aug 18 14:44:39 GMT [fci.device.invalidate.soft.address:error]: Fibre Channel adapter 0a is invalidating disk drive 0a.0 (0x06000000) which appears to have taken a soft address. Expected hard address 7 (0xda), assigned soft address 0 (0xef).

regardles of having LUNs mapped or not. Cannot find anything @NOW.

Kind regards

Thomas

P.S.: IF its not possible at all, is there any other feasible way to get LUNs to a V-Series for a testlab setup, like (open)Solaris?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ogra

No its not supported and will not work, infact I tried this with no luck !

For your query for giving a test LUN to V-series you can probably try it out directly with a FAS storage. It will give you the desired result as well. It's just you don't have the backend as 3rd party storage.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ogra

No its not supported and will not work, infact I tried this with no luck !

For your query for giving a test LUN to V-series you can probably try it out directly with a FAS storage. It will give you the desired result as well. It's just you don't have the backend as 3rd party storage.

isaacs

Correct, it will not work.  ONTAP has a list of supported LUN devices and disk drives.  NetApp LUNs are not on that list. 

Perhaps there is another way to deal with the problem you are trying to solve. 

Dan Isaacs

NetApp

V-Series

thomas_glodde

So i need to edit the qual_devices to have a happy demo v-series?

Public