FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions
-FAS3240 HA (1 chasis with 2 Controllers) + 3x Disk Shelf
Each Disk Shelf has 24 disks (total 72 disks for 3 disk shelf)
Each controller has aggr0 and vol0 that I believe contain ontap OS.
I believe each aggr0 in each controller occupied 3 disks (raiddp). So total 6 disks used for aggr0 alone
1. Can I assign half of total disk (72/2=36 disks) to ctrl1 and other half disk to ctrl2
2. In case ctrl1 own 36 disks
Can I say maximum disk I can assign to new aggr1 in ctrl1 is only 36ctrl1 disk-3aggr0 disk=33disks
3. Can I say create new aggr1 for user data is best practice, so we won't disturb rootvol in aggr0 vol0
4. My colleague already set aggr0 with 8 disks. Because this FAS3240 has no data. Can I set aggr0 to default factory default using
Option 4 in Boot Maintenance Mode
5. How do I know my filer using Hardware or Software disk ownership
See The Solution
My 2 cets for your ref:
1. Can I assign half of total disk (72/2=36 disks) to ctrl1 and other half disk to ctrl2: Yes. You can.
Can I say maximum disk I can assign to new aggr1 in ctrl1 is only 36ctrl1 disk-3aggr0 disk=33disks. No. You can assign up to 72-3=69 disks to aggr1 in ctrl1
3. Can I say create new aggr1 for user data is best practice, so we won't disturb rootvol in aggr0 vol0. Yes
Option 4 in Boot Maintenance Mode. Yes
5. How do I know my filer using Hardware or Software disk ownership: I belive its software disk ownership
If we follow above doc which say
-1 Spare for every 15 disks
-each controller has its own aggr0
-each FC RAID Group consist of 16 disks
My FAS3240 HA has 72 disks FC, so each controller own 36 disks
36 disks (controller1) - 3 disks (aggr0) - 2 spare (per 30 disks) = 31 disks remaining
31 disks = 2 RAIDGROUP (16+15 disks)
2 RAIDGROUP = 4 disks of DualParity
so total data disks of aggr1 can have per controller will be
31 disks - 4 disks = 27 disks
Am I correct?
I ask NetApp engineer.
My calculation is correct
View solution in original post
When its possible, every raidgroup in a aggr should have the same amount of disks. In your case 15 Disks...