FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions
-FAS3240 HA (1 chasis with 2 Controllers) + 3x Disk Shelf
Each Disk Shelf has 24 disks (total 72 disks for 3 disk shelf)
Each controller has aggr0 and vol0 that I believe contain ontap OS.
I believe each aggr0 in each controller occupied 3 disks (raiddp). So total 6 disks used for aggr0 alone
1. Can I assign half of total disk (72/2=36 disks) to ctrl1 and other half disk to ctrl2
2. In case ctrl1 own 36 disks
Can I say maximum disk I can assign to new aggr1 in ctrl1 is only 36ctrl1 disk-3aggr0 disk=33disks
3. Can I say create new aggr1 for user data is best practice, so we won't disturb rootvol in aggr0 vol0
4. My colleague already set aggr0 with 8 disks. Because this FAS3240 has no data. Can I set aggr0 to default factory default using
Option 4 in Boot Maintenance Mode
5. How do I know my filer using Hardware or Software disk ownership
See The Solution
I ask NetApp engineer.
My calculation is correct
View solution in original post
My 2 cets for your ref:
1. Can I assign half of total disk (72/2=36 disks) to ctrl1 and other half disk to ctrl2: Yes. You can.
Can I say maximum disk I can assign to new aggr1 in ctrl1 is only 36ctrl1 disk-3aggr0 disk=33disks. No. You can assign up to 72-3=69 disks to aggr1 in ctrl1
3. Can I say create new aggr1 for user data is best practice, so we won't disturb rootvol in aggr0 vol0. Yes
Option 4 in Boot Maintenance Mode. Yes
5. How do I know my filer using Hardware or Software disk ownership: I belive its software disk ownership
If we follow above doc which say
-1 Spare for every 15 disks
-each controller has its own aggr0
-each FC RAID Group consist of 16 disks
My FAS3240 HA has 72 disks FC, so each controller own 36 disks
36 disks (controller1) - 3 disks (aggr0) - 2 spare (per 30 disks) = 31 disks remaining
31 disks = 2 RAIDGROUP (16+15 disks)
2 RAIDGROUP = 4 disks of DualParity
so total data disks of aggr1 can have per controller will be
31 disks - 4 disks = 27 disks
Am I correct?
When its possible, every raidgroup in a aggr should have the same amount of disks. In your case 15 Disks...
Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!
Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to conﬁguration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.