ONTAP Hardware

FAS6210 no drives found after cabling

Jelle

Hello!

I recently got a FAS6210 controller (Single controller) with various disk shelves.

I am trying to connect just one shelf, but when the system has booted it tells me that no drives has been found and system will reboot.

I have been looking at cabling guides but none actually describe a single chassis with a single controller in it.

This is a lot of 6 3.5" shelves and 2 FAS6210 chassis both with just one controller. I got a bunch of FC to SAS converters with the lot as well.

As far as I can see I need to use a converter from 8G fibre to 6G SAS and use 0a FC port and route the SAS cable from the converter into the square of the disk shelf.

I have also tried to take a SAS cable from the controller to the bottom IO module on the disk shelf, it shows no link.

Whenever the connection type error pops up I can see the link LED flash both in the converter and on the controller.

I have attached various pictures to help show what I have done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

I agree with the other poster - it's probably a former metrocluster node. 

For an UNSUPPORTED process to turn it back into a standalone mode:

1. - Shut down system
  2. - Remove FCVI card from slot 6
  3. - Ensure NVRAM8 card (large battery pack) is in slot 2
  4. - Connect serial cable
  5. - Power on system
  6. - Immediately after RAM test, press control-C and you should be at a LOADER A> prompt
  7. - type: set-defaults <enter> bye
  8. - System reboots.
  9. - Press control-C again "Loading Data ONTAP" - this will bring up a boot menu
  10. - Choose option 5 - Maintenance mode boot
  11. - In maintenance mode, run "ha-config show" - and it should show "mcc". Run "ha-config modify" and set to "non-ha"
  12. - Halt the system
  13. - Cable SAS shelves directly to controller
  14. - Boot into diagnostics again
  15. - Run "disk show" and then "disk removeowner", then "disk assign"
  16. - Reboot from maintenance mode, load boot menu again, choose option 4 - wipe config
  17. - Reboot again, disks will format in parallel (8hrs/3TB), shows lots of dots
  18. - At the end, system will go into setup mode

.. but once you get here, you'll need licenses, which are node-locked, and non-transferrable. So you'll be able to play with aggregate creation, volume creation, network port config, but no protocols will work.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Public