FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

FAS8020 Fibre Channel 16gb throughput

HenryUK

Hello

i thouhgt i would try the question here before possibly raising a support ticket

as it says in the title i have a fas 8020 16GB FCwith 2x ssd/sas hybrid shelves (10.3TB)- 1 aggregate on each

also a SATA shelf with 1 aggregate (27TB) - all aggregates are around 30% full

the current disk util shows around 5% during production hours - so it is not upto much
2x cisco mds 9250i 16GBFC
HP Proliant DL 380 Gen9 with 2x 8gb fibre dual ports ports (2 ports for tape library) ( 2 ports for MDS failvoer) running veeam as out solution
4x c7000 Chassis using 8gb flex fabric

so thats pretty much the stats 

so at the moment i have Veeam looking at the current configuration of the backup jobs and the backup server they are not seeing any issues with degisn - but they are not laying blame with the Netapp - as they have glimpsed at the setup and dont see any issues with the netapp either

but here is my issue

i am getting around 150mb throughout from the Netapp to the veeam backup storage

at this time there are no overlaping jobs - backup storage is a all sas hp msa - so can easily handle this

using autosupport i am only see a 300mb peak during the backup windows - i would of thought this would be alot higher?

veeam expect to be seeing alot more than 150mb throughout which is where they are stuck - but as i have said they have not pointed the finger at anyone as we have no issues with the storage in production

could there be a setting i have missed on the MDS or the windows 2012 R2 server? ports are zoned on the netapp and mpio is set on the windows server

any ideas or tests i can make to prove the potentional read/write speed?

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

marcusgross

Hi,

you could run a systat -x 1 during backup time to get an idea whats happening on the system.

Or schedule a perfstat and send it to the support.

How does your raid setup looks like (data/parity)?

If you want to backup your VM environment, I suggest to switch to Snapshots.

Marcus

mikkisse

Hi

Veeam usually displays Bottleneck for a task. What type of bottleneck you have?

What is your proxy configuration? Is your HP MSA (Backup repository) connected to the proxy?

What backup method do you use? ndb \ hotadd \ direct san? 

How much vms in your job? 

Is your backup full or incremental? ... etc

HenryUK

Hi All

apologies for the late reply i have been working with veeam going through all my backup locations to see what improvements i can make

but we are still on this connection to our main site

attached are the sysstat -x 2 outputs from both controllers (this is during full production) - it looks like 1 controller is doing more work but i think this is down to where the nl is connected and this is the location of our fileservers

i should say that because the hybrid shelfs are not busy i am running background compression as the storage was running at around 3-6% util all the time

it is a FAS 8020 with 2x ssd hybrid shelfs and a single nl shelf

all veeam jobs are split so i do not backup fc at the same time as nl to remove any bottle necks waiting on nl

the veeam backup runs as a storage snapshot - as i have all luns visible to the veeam proxy server

i will do a perfstat on the weekend and send this off to netapp support

i mean there are no performance problems but it seems like something is not right when it comes to backups as the speed is not a great deal different from a network (nbd) backup

tha raid setup for the hybrid shelfs are

3xSSD (CACHE DISKS) - Raid 4 - 3disks1raid

1xspare ssd

16x900gb 10k (Data Disks) - RaidDP - 16disks1raid

3x 900gb 10k (root) -  RaidDP - 3disks1raid

1x 900gb 10k spare

NL shelf

23x 1.8TB 7200k - RaidDP - 23disks2raid12disks

1x spare 1.2TB 7200k

also all fibre connections are OM4 of very short runs below 10meters so cabling looks all good

any suggestions? - before i start a netapp ticket

marcusgross

Hi,

you are using inline-compression on all volumes?

M,

HenryUK

i do not use in-line on NL slow volumes

just on the hybrid due to the low usage

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public