ONTAP Hardware

Formatted Capacity of a 1.8 and 3.8 TB SSD in a DS2246?

jrpatrick

Does anyone know what the formatted capacity of a single 1.8 TB and 3.8 TB SSD are?  Or point me to a doc that lists them for the different drive types/size that covers the 1.8/3.8 TB SSD in it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

hwu.netapp.com lists the base 2 formatted capacity for each model of drive - assume 90% of that number when adding SSD capacity. If the drives will contain root aggregates (first two shelves), subtract 60GB per disk. 

Your NetApp and partner engineers have access to an internal sizing tool and can generate precise figures for you, including heat and power loading.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AlexDawson

Hi there!

Unfortunately it's not as simple of an answer as you might like to think. 

• 1600/3840GB are "marketing" capacities - so Base 10. Our systems use base 2 internally, so they become 1490/3568GB, right at the start. I will be using Base 2 for this example.
  • If used in a small footprint system, to enable efficiencies we would normally partition it into three partitions - root, data1 and data2.
  • root is a different size, depending on platform - on our newest system, the AFF-A220, it is only 23GB, leaving 2x1.74TB partitions - but on our slightly older systems, it would be 53GB, leaving 2x1.72TB partitions
  • On larger systems, it would be a single 3140GB disk after formatting

Hope this helps!

jrpatrick

Thanks. That helps some.  What I think we are looking for is more about how much "usable" space each disk gives after the marketing size and the format of the drive is done. e.g. I buy a "8 TB" disk, format it with NTFS and now it's only 7.27 TB.  Just looking for what the size really is so when someone calcualtes how much storage is usable the number is closer than the marketing number.  Hope that makes sense. 

AlexDawson

hwu.netapp.com lists the base 2 formatted capacity for each model of drive - assume 90% of that number when adding SSD capacity. If the drives will contain root aggregates (first two shelves), subtract 60GB per disk. 

Your NetApp and partner engineers have access to an internal sizing tool and can generate precise figures for you, including heat and power loading.

Hope this helps!

jrpatrick

That's what I needed. Thanks!

D_BEREZENKO

I would recommend you to stop thinking how much usable space on a disk, but instead ask how much overall usable space you'll get after AFF/FAS system configuration.

The reason I'm telling this because there are many factors and configuration choices in your particular case which can influence overall usable space regardless of usable space on a single disk.

In many cases it is easier to go even vice-versa: tell how much usable space do you need and what type of data you are going to store, and from that, we can find what storage system suits for you.

The first place to go is to ask your NetApp representative.

If you have a partner account, you can go yo synergy which can help to find usable space for your storage system configuration.

cluster1::> storage disk show -raid-info-for-aggregate
Owner Node: node1
   Aggregate: aggr0_node1_0
      Plex: plex0
        RAID Group: rg0
                                                                                 Usable Physical
          Position Disk                  HA Shelf Bay Chan Pool   Type     RPM     Size     Size
          -------- --------------------- ------------ ---- ------ ----- ------ -------- --------
          data     node1:2d.11.2         2d    11   2 B    Pool0  SAS    15000   9.77GB   9.93GB
          dparity  node1:2d.11.0         2d    11   0 B    Pool0  SAS    15000   9.77GB   9.93GB
          parity   node1:2d.11.1         2d    11   1 B    Pool0  SAS    15000   9.77GB   9.93GB
Public