ONTAP Hardware

Head Swap and root aggregate which uses ADP

DinoBob

I am preparing for a head swap from a dual-controller AFF 8080 to a dual-controller AFF A700. The root aggregate was created using ADP and is 368GB. The new heads will essentially require a doubling of the root aggregate size. 

Can the aggregate be expanded without adding physical disks somehow? My shelves are fully populated. 

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

hmoubara

Hello,

You will have to check if you have enough spares or extra to use as a data disk instead and add them to the aggregate in question. If you do not and no more space available from the disk located in the shelf; you will have to purchase a new shelf with new disk.

Thanks

Mjizzini

You can only grow aggregates by adding disks (partitions).

DinoBob

Thanks. This was part of a "free" (love that word) head swap which was part of an agreement with NetApp, and my disk capacity for data is absolutely not an issue - as a matter of fact I will be getting some space back later in the year as a huge project completes. So buying another shelf is 100% not on the table. 

Assuming I was able to obtain "swing gear" for the migration - I could migrate all of the volumes housed on these shelves to a new aggregate, redo my aggregates, and then move everything back- correct? 

Public