ONTAP Hardware

How can I use the IBM N6240 Controller with NetApp FAS3240 Chassis?

wuijolskd

The N6240 controller was stocked last week. I connected to the NetApp FAS3240 chassis and booted up.

'The chassis middle plane is not compatible with the installation.
Shutting down. Unsupported configuration.'

The above message is sent and reboots automatically.

As a result of contacting IBM,

'Included a controller of a different model into an already customized class, results in the shutdown of the controller.
The active action is to replace the chess (midplane) and be sure to use the integrated controller type.'

I gave you the message above.

Is there any way to use the N6240 controller with the FAS3240 chassis, except for a complete replacement of the Chassis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

No. The chassis midplane contain it's S/N and model, and if it's not match the FAS/AFF/V/N controller model the controller will not boot. Changing the chassis midplane or controller identity data on-prem is not supported in these models.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GidonMarcus

No. The chassis midplane contain it's S/N and model, and if it's not match the FAS/AFF/V/N controller model the controller will not boot. Changing the chassis midplane or controller identity data on-prem is not supported in these models.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

wuijolskd

Then I'd like to ask you something else.

The FAS3240 Controller is automatically updated when the FAS3250 Controller is installed on the FAS3240 Chassis, and the FAS3240 Controller is recognized after that, the FAS3240 Controller is not recognized.

In this case, is the only way to use the FAS3240 Controller only with the new Cassis?

AlexDawson

Hi there,

If you power the chassis down entirely, and then power it up again with only one FAS3240/N6240 controller in it, the controller should reprogram the chassis to N6240. After that, you may install a second N6240 controller. It will not work if it is hot installed, or if there are two controllers in the chassis.

This is not a documented or supported operation.

Public