FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Is there a best practice for maximum used for an aggregate

GlenG

We have a FAS3250 with 3 aggregates - one with SAS disks, one with 2TB SATA and one with 4TB SATA.  Percentage wise they are showing 86% to 96% used.  Is there a best practice for the maximum that should be allocated?

Here's part of OnCommand screenshot showing the details.

NetappAaggrUsed20161117.jpg

Thanks,

Glen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sahana

Hi,

• It is recommended to keep a minimum of 3 % of space kept free on the aggregate . Which means that the aggregate should not be used more that 97% ever.

Personally I would recomend the aggregate is not used more that 95% . The extra 2% will come in handy if all your aggregate / volume space is used .

• Yes you can resize the volume down later if necessary without any interuptions provided there is space unused in the volume. For example you have a 100G volume which has used 60G already . You can now resize the volume down upto 60G , Please note that the volume used space becomes 100% now and run out of space. so you may want to resize to 70G or 80G depending upon your need to get the space back to aggregate .

• Netapp recomends to grow ( add disks) your aggregate when the utilization approach 80% - 85 % for better performance.

Ref: http://community.netapp.com/t5/Network-Storage-Protocols-Discussions/aggregate-recommended-free-space/td-p/18572

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana

Hi,

• It is recommended to keep a minimum of 3 % of space kept free on the aggregate . Which means that the aggregate should not be used more that 97% ever.

Personally I would recomend the aggregate is not used more that 95% . The extra 2% will come in handy if all your aggregate / volume space is used .

• Yes you can resize the volume down later if necessary without any interuptions provided there is space unused in the volume. For example you have a 100G volume which has used 60G already . You can now resize the volume down upto 60G , Please note that the volume used space becomes 100% now and run out of space. so you may want to resize to 70G or 80G depending upon your need to get the space back to aggregate .

• Netapp recomends to grow ( add disks) your aggregate when the utilization approach 80% - 85 % for better performance.

Ref: http://community.netapp.com/t5/Network-Storage-Protocols-Discussions/aggregate-recommended-free-space/td-p/18572

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

GlenG

Sahana,

Thanks for the details and reference.

I am new to the Netapp world and my predecessors did not leave much in the way of documentation.

Have a good weekend,

Glen

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public