ONTAP Hardware

NetApp FAS2240-2 with Data Ontap 8.1.3 7-mode (2 controllers)

Didi7

Hello,

we use two HP DL380p Gen8 servers with ESXi 6.0 Update 2 and iSCSI to connect to the upper mentioned NetApp FAS system. I know that ALUA cannot be used with iSCSI on Data Ontap 7-mode, but without multipathing, this is not a good solution. There is no ethernet switch used, ESX servers and NetApp are connected directly.

The two ESXi systems have two 10GBit/s FlexibleLOM ports to connect each server to Controller A and Controller B of the NetApp.

One vSwitch with 2 VMkernel ports are used on each ESXi, each VMkernel port has its own IP adress and one 10GBit/s adapter active and one unused, so that iSCSI port binding is possible.

VMkernel port 1 is in a different ip subnet than VMkernel port 2. I tried to use the same subnet, but it made no difference.

I have 5 LUNs in Controller A and 5 LUNs in Controller B, but unfortunately I only have ...

Connected targets: 2

Devices: 10

Paths: 10

VMware Storage Type Array is VMW_SATP_DEFAULT_AA with PSP Fixed VMware, because there is only one path 😞

This results in a sudden data path interruption, as soon as one of those 4 iSCSI cables is broken or a takeover is done on the NetApp.

Using a FAS2520 with iSCSI and Data Ontap 9.0, we can use multipathing (2 connected targets, 10 devices, 20 paths).

Is it possible to use multipathing with a NetApp FAS2240-2 with Data Ontap 8.1.3 7-mode with iSCSI ?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Best regards,

Didi7

1 REPLY 1

Didi7

Anyone?

Best regards,

Didi7

Public