ONTAP Hardware

Ontap 8.1.2 + V3140 and IBM DS4800 + 07.60.52.00 error mailbox disk status is uncertain ??

PIYUSHBANSAL198722

I have netapp v3140 running on ontap 8.1.2 and ibmDS4800 under the vseries.

We are seeing HA capability getting disabled and then within 1 min being enabled on its own. 

After referring to the autosupport/debug logs it shows the command timeouts:

[fci.device.quiesce:debug] Adapter <XXX> encountered a command timeout on Disk <XXX> retry: 0 Quiescing the device.

[fci.device.timeout:debug] HBA <XXX> encountered a device timeout on Disk device <XXX> retry: 0

[scsi.cmd.abortedByHost:debug] Disk device <XXX>: Command aborted by host adapter: HA status 0x4: <XXX> 

[fci.device.timeout:debug] HBA <XXX> encountered a device timeout on Disk device <XXX> retry: 0

[scsi.cmd.abortedByHost:debug] Disk device <XXX>: Command aborted by host adapter: HA status 0x4: <XXX> 

IBMDS4800 does not provide any statistics to investigate the host interface ports which are providing connectivity to the netapp storage via san switch. San switch does not show any errors apart from the c3frames discards.

Anyone has experience with this setup ?? please suggest...

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov
C3frame discards are actually good match for timeouts. On which ports do you see discards - netapp or ibm?

PIYUSHBANSAL198722

I am confused here at this point.

We are seeing the errors logged in netapp and on the netapp initiator port 0d commands are being timedout.

My point of confusion is how to isolate if these timeouts are being happening because of ds4800 or netapp.

Public