ONTAP Hardware

Procedure on Add DS2246 disk shelf to existing disk shelf stack with FAS8020 controllers

NetappNewbie-Roy

Hi Team,

Could you please advice the procedure to add DS2246 disk shelf to existing disk shelf stack with FAS8020 controllers? I have 2 disk shelf stacks totally. So I wonder the workflow on the 8020 controller, SAS connection, ACP connection, etc. Would appreciate if diagram is provided. Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

This document outlines the process - https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1119629

1. Install shelf, set shelf ID, power shelf off and power on again
  2. Check shelf autoassign is on or off, per preference. Off is easiest
  3. Unplug SAS cable from last shelf, IOM A, returning to controller, plug new shelf IOM A to old last shelf IOM A, attach SAS cable for controller return to new last shelf.
  4. Unplug SAS cable from last shelf, IOM B, returning to controller, plug new shelf IOM B to old last shelf IOM B, attach SAS cable for controller return to new last shelf.
  5. Unplug ACP cables linked last shelf IOM A to IOM B, plug new controller's IOMs in its place. Plug-in order is not important
  6. Assign disks to controllers, then to existing or new aggregate.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AlexDawson

This document outlines the process - https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1119629

1. Install shelf, set shelf ID, power shelf off and power on again
  2. Check shelf autoassign is on or off, per preference. Off is easiest
  3. Unplug SAS cable from last shelf, IOM A, returning to controller, plug new shelf IOM A to old last shelf IOM A, attach SAS cable for controller return to new last shelf.
  4. Unplug SAS cable from last shelf, IOM B, returning to controller, plug new shelf IOM B to old last shelf IOM B, attach SAS cable for controller return to new last shelf.
  5. Unplug ACP cables linked last shelf IOM A to IOM B, plug new controller's IOMs in its place. Plug-in order is not important
  6. Assign disks to controllers, then to existing or new aggregate.

Hope this helps!

Danimax

Hi Team,

I have a FAS 8200, 1 DS460c HDD Disk Shelf (120TB), 1 DS224c SSD Disk Shelf (12TB).

How do i connect the SAS connection between all this devices.

The SSD disk will be used as Flash Pool

AlexDawson

Hi there,

Your FAS8200 should have come with this poster outlining how to connect disks - but if not, it's pretty simple. On the back of each of the controllers of the FAS8200 are 4 SAS connections on the motherboard (so in a HA pair, a total of 8 - node 1 and node 2). There may also be an additional set of SAS ports in the PCI slots of the controller - if present, you will want to do a doublewide configuration

Turn on both shelves, use the button on the front to make the number flash, and set the DS460C ID to "01" (or whatever number you want, just as long as it's not the same as the DS224C).

Turn both shelves off and then on again

Connect SAS port 0a from node 1 to port 1 of the left IOM of the DS224C (IOM A).

Connect SAS port 3 of IOM A of the DS224C to SAS port 1 of IOM A of the DS460C (top)

Connect SAS port 3 of IOM A of the DS460C to SAS port 0d of node 2 

Connect SAS port 0a from node 2 to port 1of the right IOM of the DS224C (IOM B).

Connect SAS port 3 of IOM B of the DS224C to SAS port 1 of IOM B of the DS460C (bottom)

Connect SAS port 3 of IOM B of the DS460C to SAS port 0d of node 1

If you have additional SAS ports on a PCI card, and you want to do doublewide, connect PCI SAS 'a' to port 2 of the IOMs, and then connect ports 4 to 2 on the next IOM, and finally port 4 to PCI SAS port 'd' of the other node. If you have the PCI SAS card, and you don't want to do doublewide (for example if the system wasn't supplied with enough SAS cables), then instead of connecting to port '0d' on the motherboard, connect to port 'd' on the PCI SAS card. Without the PCI SAS cards, I would not bother with doublewide.

And you're done 🙂

Danimax

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response. Really appreciate.

But i have a follow up question.

Since there is only one disk shelf stack, how will the assignment of disk to controller(nodes) be like??

Should i just use auto-assign of disk to nodes??

Because in two disk shelves stack, one node own 1 disk shelf, while the other node own the second disk shelf.

what is your advise??

Public