ONTAP Hardware

Raid group size recommendations - MKII (64 bit)

BrendonHiggins

I have already seen http://communities.netapp.com/thread/1587 and that thread is getting long so I have started a new thread.

I am looking to configure 6 shelves of DS14, 1Tb SATA drives on a FAS3170 HA pair running DoT 8 with 64 bit aggregates.  Does anyone have a table which states which will be the best pratice for sizing RG?

I have already seen that the max size is 70 Tb made from either 43 (2 Tb Sata) or 86 (1 Tb SATA) DATA disks.  And the system configurator tool stats the default RG to be 14 and supports up to 16 on SATA drives.

Thanks for the help

Bren

PS I also have a FAS3140 HA pair with 3 shelves of DS4243 with 2 Tb drives and would also be interested in 64 bit aggregates there too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yossi

Hi,

Attached very good document that for sure will help you 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

yossi

Hi,

Attached very good document that for sure will help you 🙂

jeddgo123

that FAQ by Jay White is really good. in the process or ordering new FAS system and trying to find out all info for the new FAS line

spence

In addition to the FAQ you should reference the following:

TR-3838 - Storage Subsystem Configuration Guide (May 2010)

TR-3786 - Introduction to 64 bit aggrs

BrendonHiggins

Thanks for posting those docs, they are great.

Bren

droach

I cannot find the TR-3838 - Storage Subsystem Configuration Guide document.  Can someone provide a link?

BrendonHiggins

droach

Thanks, but I still can't find the TR-3838 document.

ogra

It's a internal TR. Not a external one. The one provided above TR-3786 contains all the required info for 64 bit Aggregates.

PS : If you are a partner to NetApp you need to login to FieldPortal and then search.

paredes

Is there a new document of the "Introduction to 64bit aggrs" with the new hardware (V/FAS32XX and V/FAS62XX)? If so, can someone point me to it.

Thanks!

Public