FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Rebuilding Aggr0 and Vol0

GREGORYSIEG

Hello,

I did something incredibly stupid the other day, as soon as I did I knew it was too late! I have a FAS2220 that had 24 disks split 12 and 12, dual controller.  I also had a empty shelf, I installed an additional 12 disks for more storage and decided to also split these so I would have 18 and 18.  I installed the drives upgraded the firmware and then assigned the disks to each controller.  I then went to the AGGR0 on both controllers and assigned the disks.  I looked at the storage size and noticed it wasn't what I had expected I went back in to look at the AGGR0 and noticed my Raid group size was 14.  So now I have a raid group with 14 disks and a raid group with 3 disks (1 spare, RAID DP).  Not only is this incredibly wasteful but now I fear that I may have performance issues with this small Raid group as it really only has 1 usable disk. 

My plan was to just VM Motion my VMs to my secondary controller delete the AGGR0 and rebuild it.  However I wasn't thinking about Vol0 which from my understanding contains all of the configuration.  I don't see any way to export the configuration and everything I am seeing online suggest moving the Vol0 to another Aggr which I also do not have since all of my disks are attached to this aggr0, unless I can move it to the secondary controller while I make the change?

So my question is given my problem, what is the easiest way to fix this.  I will have to unfortunately do this for both controllers as I was an idiot and moved both sets of disks before I realized what I had done.  I was planing on doing 1 at a time so I can at least keep my environment online during the changes.  I also do have a third seperate single controller however there is not enough storage on that device to hold all of my volumes.  I planned on using that to hold some of my storage though during this change.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 REPLY 1

Sebastian_Goetze

Hi Greg,

how about

• evacuating one controller
  • ndmpcopy'ing the /etc directory off to the partner or the third controller,
  • rebuilding the aggregate
    • boot options 4... (might take a while)
  • Setting the correct RGSize and add remaining disks
  • moving (ndmpcopy'ing) the old /etc back to an empty volume in the new aggregate, let's say 'volroot'
  • vol options volroot root
  • recreate the other volume(s) for your datastore(s)
  • reboot

and do the same with the other controller.

The only space you'll need is room for the content of /etc (and all subdirectories...)

You will loose your old snapshots, though!

Hope that helps...

Good Luck

Sebastian

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public