ONTAP Hardware

Reset Service Processor Login

RichardParry

I've recently bought a couple of FAS2520's with dual controllers each and 2x DS2246 shelves with everything populated with 900GB SAS drives. I got these a very good price for learning purposes.

The previous user of these haphazardly wiped them and whilst they have ONTAP still installed, they are in a mess in terms of configuration/setup.

I am also completely new to the NetApp platform, so learning as I go along.

I am concentrating on the one SAN right now - It has 2x controllers both running 8.2.3 7-Mode. The previous user has lost all licence details - so that's another thing to sort out. I have another community thread open on that.

The first thing is, I have gone into the CTRL+C and done a option 4 wipe on both controllers. I've then setup all the parameters, so I have SSH access into ONTAP on both.

The main reason for this particular post though is that a password appears to be set on the service processor on each controller but I cannot find how to reset this. I have tried the default of admin / netapp!123, but that doesn't work. The previous owner told me a password, but that didn't work either.

Is there a way, through either the serial console or via the ONTAP CLI to reset the service processor password so I can gain SSH access?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichardParry

OK - So I found an obscure article online about 7-mode SP login being naroot rather than admin, and that worked. It has inherited the root password I set during the controller setup.

Every NetApp knowledgebase article I found said the username was admin for the service processor.

So for this one - All sorted 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RichardParry

OK - So I found an obscure article online about 7-mode SP login being naroot rather than admin, and that worked. It has inherited the root password I set during the controller setup.

Every NetApp knowledgebase article I found said the username was admin for the service processor.

So for this one - All sorted 🙂

paul_stejskal

Richard,

I'm glad you were able to figure it out! What articles did you reference? If we need to improve a KB you can contact us directly or leave feedback on the appropriate KB. @DrewC or myself can help ensure those updates are done.

andris

Richard,

Most of NetApp ONTAP documentation is online - the key is to specify your version and mode specifics.

E.g.  ontap 8.x 7-Mode SP login

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ontap+8.x+7-Mode+SP+login

The 1st hit is:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1155684

Pg 193.

The SP comes with an account named "naroot". Only the SP naroot account and Data ONTAP user accounts with the credentials of the admin role or a role with the login-sp capability can log in to the SP. These users have access to all commands available on the SP.

Public