ONTAP Hardware

Restart the Controllers 7 mode HA

Anu61

We have two controllers in Netaapp FAS8020 ontap 7-mode. HA is enabled and working fine.

All SATA disks are configured in controller 1 and controller 2 has SAS disks.

I would like to restart controllers one by one and check the redundancy.

Since i am new in netapp storage, could anyone tell what needs to check in storage before restarting the controllers?

How the restart will get affect for ESXi host servers?

please help

Regards

Anu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there!

First step is to login to each controller/node. From here, you want to verify that the storage is visible to both nodes, and that the network interfaces will failover appropriately.

To check the health of the backend storage connections, run the command: "sysconfig -a" to show the system status. You are looking for a line that says:

System Storage Configuration: Multi-Path HA

The next step is to view the network interface running status and failover status. Two commands for this: rdfile /etc/rc and ifconfig -a

From the output of the /etc/rc file, see which IPs failover to which ports on the other controller (partner statement). On the partner system, check those ports exist, and vis-versa. You are welcome to post the output of those files here for us to review, but I encourage you to redact any information that may expose external IPs or company names.

It is not that friendly, and we have updated this mechanism significantly in newer versions of ONTAP.

Then you want to check that the hosts using storage will tolerate the up-to-30 second blip during failover (usually much shorter, but plan for worst case). If running iSCSI or FC, ensure ALUA is setup and that hosts can see targets on both controllers.

Assuming all is configured correctly, it should all go smoothly.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Public