FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Storage Available after Formatting

todd_horne

I just added two new trays to my V-3170. I have one tray of 2TB SATA drives and I'm wondering what would be the most efficient way to distrubute the disks. I want to get the most space out of my aggregates so would I be better served to create on large aggr? Or split the tray into a couple different aggregates? I will be using RAID-DP.

We currently don't have any existing aggregates with 2TB drives so expanding an existing is not an option.

5 REPLIES 5

radek_kubka

Hi,

What ONTAP version are you on?

64-bit aggregates can help you a lot with utilising 2TB drives 'properly', but you need ONTAP version 8.x.

Some more info in this thread:

http://communities.netapp.com/message/30810#30810

Regards,
Radek

todd_horne

Our V-3170 is on 7.3.2P4.

So if I create 2 aggregates I'm going to lose 4 disks for parity, right? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get the most out of this tray, any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

radek_kubka

Yes, 2 aggregates mean in this case 4 parity disks (assuming we are talking RAID-DP) - so usable capacity really sucks

That's why 64-bit aggregates are almost a must for 2TB drives.

todd_horne

So considering this is our first tray of 2TB drives, we'll lose one of the 14 disks as a hot spare. Leaving us with a total of 13 useable disks. So I'd create one aggregate with 7 disks and the other with 6 disks, guess I really have no other options. Thoughts on this?

nigelg1965

I think you are going to hit the limit for aggregate size of 16TB, so you can only have 10 or may be 12 disks in a Raid Group, and have to have at least 2 probably 3 aggregates.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public