ONTAP Hardware

'Storage Disk Replace' Multiple Drives

coreywanless

I'm running 8.3.1P1, and need to perform 12 disk replaces on SATA to evacuate a shelf.  

I have done the 'disk replace' command several times before with success, but that was one at a time. Does Ontap Allow me to perform multiple disk replaces at the sametime, and it just queue the replacements? These would be 12 from the same aggregate, and some would be in the same raidgroup.

I couldn't find any document specifying what it does when you run multiple commands for multiple disk replaces.  Anyone have any experience with this. I really don't want to write a script to monitor the event log for the status.

Thanks,

Corey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

The disk replace operations are queued.  Issue the start for each disk, and you will see them marked for replacement in aggr status -r, with copy percentages on the ones in flight.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SeanHatfield

The disk replace operations are queued.  Issue the start for each disk, and you will see them marked for replacement in aggr status -r, with copy percentages on the ones in flight.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

coreywanless

Thanks.. And because I don't like to check myself I wrote this powershell script that emails me the status.

The ontap module is required of course.

param($cluster,$emailaddress,$smtpserver)
if ($global:CurrentNcController.name -ne $cluster){connect-nccontroller $cluster}

$subject = 'Report: Disk Replace Status'
$from = 'No-Reply@mydomain.com'

$diskinfo = @()
foreach ($disk in get-ncdisk | where-object { $_.diskraidInfo.diskaggregateinfo.IsReplacing -eq $true })
{
$diskinfo += [PSCustomObject]@{
Disk = $disk.name
Aggregate = $disk.aggregate
RaidGroup = $disk.DiskRaidInfo.DiskAggregateInfo.Raidgroupname
CopyDestinationName = $disk.DiskRaidInfo.DiskAggregateInfo.CopyDestinationName
CopyPercentComplete = $disk.DiskRaidInfo.DiskAggregateInfo.CopyPercentComplete
}
}
if ($diskinfo)
{
$messageParameters = @{
Subject = $subject
Body = $diskinfo | Sort-Object -Property CopyPercentComplete -Descending | select Aggregate, RaidGroup, Disk, CopyDestinationName, CopyPercentComplete | ConvertTo-HTML | Out-String
From = $from
To = $emailaddress.split(",")
SmtpServer = $smtpserver
}
}
else
{
$messageParameters = @{
Subject = $subject
Body = "There are no Disk Replaces Occuring"
From = $from
To = $emailaddress.split(",")
SmtpServer = $smtpserver
}
}
Send-MailMessage @messageParameters -BodyAsHtml

GregNOAA

Using this topic to ask a follow-up question...

I plan to use VOL MOVE to evacuate all volumes from an aggregate that resides on a shelf in need of replacement.  However, as luck would have it, one of the disks belongs to a root aggregate.  Are there any special concerns with running the "disk replace" command against a disk that is part of a root aggr?

Thank you!

Greg

Public