ONTAP Hardware

Upgrade path for FAS2554

sergeib

We have a FAS2554 at our DR site. When we test our DR and failover our prod site to the DR site we observe almost constant disk utilization being close to 100% and CPU close to 100%. We are contemplating adding more disk shelves, creating a new agg and spreading the load between all aggs. I have also heard that there is an option to "swap the head" on the 2554 for a more robust controller with a faster CPU. Is this possible and if so -- what are the options for an upgrade.

Thank you.

sergei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Got ya.  Yeah, prod and DR and for sure "uneven" so that would explain the 100% usage you're seeing.   

Your NetApp Partner can run sizing to see what would be a proper DR target options for you.      I don't think a headswap would be the thing to do honestly and i'm pretty sure you can't swap a 25xx to a 27xx either.   

You can probably re-use the 2554's chassis and disks as a DS4246 or even put in a IOM12. But it's still just a pool of SATA.  And if you're running AFF in prod,  there is no real comparison.   You'd probably have to work in Flashpool to use with the SATA (if you don't have it already in the 2554).     Still have that 8020 laying around?  That might make a decent DR target with the correct disks.    

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Public