FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Re: What is the best way to peform a LUN migration?

Understood! I like to thank you very much for your help on this. I believe I now have the information I need to complete the task at hand.

I have a quick question for you. I’m using the “vol move” command to migrate volumes to the new aggregate. In order to use this command I notice that I have to remove the NFS share that ONTAP creates for each volume. My question is what risks if any am I taking by removing the shares so that I can migrate the data? Are these shares critical to the normal operations of
Netapp? Why does DATAON TAP creates these shares?

I plan on placing the shares back once I’m done with all the migrations. Or should I add them back right after I complete each migration?

Thanks again in advance for all your help!!

When you use System Manager (and maybe some other utilities, I'm not sure) to create a volume with storage type SAN, an NFS export is automatically created.  Why... I don't know.  I think it's a pain in the neck and I have to keep deleting the exports.  You can safely delete these exports... make sure you're not deleting exports of volumes that are actually being accessed through NFS, if you have any.  And there's no need to add these exports back after your migration.

You need to turn off nfs auto update

options nfs.export.auto-update  off

I see. Thank you very much for that info. I will make the changes.. it also seems to be a security best practices to perform this action if your not using NFS shares.

Forums