FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Why is total space size on aggr between controllers are different with same amount of disks?

peter1965

Hi

I was creating aggr on my v6210 with 2TB netapp disk. On one controller I created a aggr with 40 disks in a 20 disk raid group.

I did the exact same thing on the other controller and notice the "total space" is different. How can this be? The only thing I can think of is when I initially created an aggr on this controller  with a different raid group I went in destroyed it and recreated it to make what I had mentioned above.. Soemthing not "zero" out correctly?

See attached screen shot and how do I go about resolving that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

isaacs

Heh, On second thought, take a look at "snap reserve -A".  I'll bet the Aggr Snap Reserve is 0 on the original, and the 5% default on the new.

"snap reserve -A netapp_aggr2 0"  will set it to zero, and you should see the space.

We're thankfully doing away with that default, and this shouldn't be a needed step going forward.  It's only required for SyncMirror/MetroCluster. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

please show output of "aggr show_space" from both filers

isaacs

It's possible the RAID Group sizes are different, and result in 2 fewer data disks.  "aggr status -r" output should confirm/deny that.

isaacs

Heh, On second thought, take a look at "snap reserve -A".  I'll bet the Aggr Snap Reserve is 0 on the original, and the 5% default on the new.

"snap reserve -A netapp_aggr2 0"  will set it to zero, and you should see the space.

We're thankfully doing away with that default, and this shouldn't be a needed step going forward.  It's only required for SyncMirror/MetroCluster. 

View solution in original post

peter1965

Argh! That was it!! Sticking head in sand as I knew I put that in my script but there was a typo.. Sigh I should of caught that. That what I get for administering filers in what I call hybrid mode (the cli and the sys manager 2.0)

thanks

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public