ONTAP Hardware

Why no SSD drives in the new DS2246 shelf?

avbohemen

With NetApp jumping on the SSD drives, in addition to their previous solid state lineup consisting of the PAM-II cards, I really wonder why they chose to fit these drives only in the DS4243 shelf. The density of SSD drives would make them a perfect fit for the DS2246 shelf, and it would provide even greater performance/density/power ratio. Are there SSD drives planned in the future for the new 2,5" shelf?

6 REPLIES 6

radek_kubka

I can only second to that question, 2.5'' SSDs make perfect sense to me.

IMHO the likely reason is simply the validation & testing routine, so someone made the decision to introduce 3.5'' SSDs first.

Regards,
Radek

vmsjaak13

From the Storage Subsystem Technical FAQ:

SSD drives have a 3Gb/s interface. They would be unable to take advantage of the 6Gb/s speed offered by the IOM6 capable DS2246 shelf.

Regards,

Niek

radek_kubka

This particular argument doesn't stack up in my view:

1) SSDs wouldn't be any slower in DS2246, as the DS4243 they are supported in is 3Gbit SAS anyway

2) With SSDs it's all about random IOPS, not about throughput

vmsjaak13

I agree, but that was all I could find about the subject.

Regards,

Niek

sshapiro

The reason the SSDs are in the DS4243 shelf and not the DS2246 shelf was a time-to-market reason.  Combining the intro of both SSD and DS2246 added risk to bringing each new capability to market in a timely fashion.  Now that the DS2246 is shipping, there is the flexibility to use it in the future with SSD.

vmsjaak13

During Insight Jay White also explained that the SATA->SAS dongles weren't available in 2.5inch formfactor.

Regards,

Niek

Public