FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

active/active with dual controller within FAS 3250 and active/active between two FAS 3050

netappmagic

I have experience with FAS 3050, each has single controller. We use two such filers, and configured them as active/active HA 2-nodes cluster.

Now, as I understand, with FAS 3200 series, for instance, FAS 3250, each has 2controllers, and one filer itself can be configured  as active/active.

Would you please tell me differences between these two situations and using 2 different  storages, one is using two Filers, the other is using one single filer and 2 controllers?

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

STUARTWATTCSC

Really not sure what the question is here but here goes:

FAS3050 clusters were shipped as 2 separate heads which together would make a cluster.

the FAS3250 can be shipped with 2 controllers in one unit I believe.  There is no difference except that the 2 controllers are in the same unit which saves on space and cabling,  however the downside is that there is less expandability.  I believe that FAS3250 can also still be purchased as 2 separate heads, and the space where the second controller would go can host an IO expansion module.

Hope this answers you question.

netappmagic

Would you please advice on this question?

vims

As far as I understand the question it would be FAS3220 not 3250, i.e. one enclosure and 2 controllers.

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/ds-3095-0513.pdf

FAS3200 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

All data in this table applies to high availability configurations.

FAS3220 with Expanded I/O FAS3220 
Single enclosure HA;

two controllers in single 3U chassis

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public