ONTAP Hardware

adding shelf / disks to an FAS2020

dormelchen

hello,

we have an FAS2020 with Disks in the head.

Now we want to add an additional shelf

i know how to plugin..

but thats it.

How can i add the "new" disks to the existing aggregate ?

Spare Disks.. etc.

Is there an How to ? Best practice ?

Thank you

22 REPLIES 22

mheimberg

after connecting the shelf to the controller you should be able to see the disks on the commandline by

>disk show -n

Because of software-ownership you first must assign the disks to a controller

>disk assign 0a.16 -o <controller>

If options disk.autoassign is enabled, all the other disks are assigned automatically, otherwise use

>disk assign all -o <controller>

So now you should see the disks as spares by

>sysconfig -r

and from here you can add them now to an aggregate or create a new aggregate.

Don't you have a NetApp partner or consultant?

regards

Mark

dormelchen

thanks -

we have an partner / consultant... but.. save money....

so i had to do this

dormelchen

btw..

is there an problem:

Raid4 config Fas2020 head

adding this shelf to an existing aggr. ?

Has this shelf then Raid 4 too ?

mheimberg

If you extend the aggregate formed by internal disks with disks of the external shelf, then: yes, it will stay raid 4 because this is the aggr option.

Has the external shelf the same disk types and sizes as the internal disks?

If not, be careful what you do.

Mark

dormelchen

internal we have SAS 15000 (pysical 410 GB - netapp na_admin)

the new shelf DS14MK4 has 14 x 450 GB SAS

mheimberg

So you have the same disk type.

Theoretically you could extend your aggregate by the external disks.

Personally I would refrain from that. The shelf is then bound to the controller - if you need to upgrade to a more performant/newer/bigger/... system, you need more steps for migrating the data.

But there are different opinions around that....

Mark

rodrigon

I'm agree with Mark.

IMHO, for the FAS2000 family, you shouldn't mix internal disks with shelf (external) disks.

Cheers,

Nasc

NetApp: Enjoy it!

AARONLEWIS

Hi,

I've just added a DS14Mk4 to my production FAS2020.  As we're a very small company, it's my only filer.  It's running in Active/Active with 1 aggregate on each controller.  I'm torn between two approaches:

1. simply adding new disks to each of the aggregates

2. creating a single aggregate on the DS14, moving the volumes from one of the controllers and expanding the aggregate on the 2020 to include all its' disks.

Now, I've tested the move in the simulator and it seems pretty straightforward.  However, it does require a fairly significant downtime for some of my servers.  The move seems like the right approach, but I'm wondering what the reasoning is behind not mixing internal and shelf disks on a 2020. 

Thanks,

Aaron

aborzenkov

If you extend the aggregate formed by internal disks with disks of the external shelf, then: yes, it will stay raid 4 because this is the aggr option.

Or you can change RAID type before adding more disks.

dormelchen

does changing the raid type has any effects on existing data ?

aborzenkov

No, it just adds (or removes) additional parity disk.

mheinrich

Hi to all,

im reactivating this thread because ive a very similar situation. We have a FAS2020 with 12x410,73 GB SAS in Raid4 with 2 Controllers. Now, I want to extend with a new DS14MK4 with 14x450 GB SAS. There are some questions about the plugging that come to my mind (with the config after plugging/activiating the shelf, Im going to have no problems, I guess): we have the two active controllers on the main-system with both two ports (0a, 0b). On the new shelf, we have 4 ports, too, but als much i can see, there only 2 INPUT-ports (recognized by the direction of the displayed arrow) --> so, do i have to plug only the two input-ports and if so, with which of the main-system ports do i connect?

Thx for help, Maze

mheimberg

basic cabling:

top Controller:0a -> Shelf top ESH4:in

bottom Controller:0a -> Shelf bottom ESH4:in

if both FC ports are free you may setup HA cabling:

Shelf top ESH4:out -> bottom Controller:0b

Shelf bottom ESH4:out -> top Controller:0b

mheinrich

Hi and Thank you!

Markus Heimberg schrieb:

if both FC ports are free you may setup HA cabling:

Shelf top ESH4:out -> bottom Controller:0b

Shelf bottom ESH4:out -> top Controller:0b

so, this is optional?? what's the effect of this? which ports exaclty do you mean with "if both ports are free"?

Sorry for my questions may sound a little stupid 😉

maze

andrc

HA Multipathing is optional, it's just an extra path to the disks giving you redundancy if one path fails. You need to have enough controller ports available to cable this up as it uses double the ports of non-multipathed cabling.

mheimberg
so, this is optional?? what's the effect of this? which ports exaclty do you mean with "if both ports are free"?

As andrc alread wrote: HA cabling is optional. Regarding the ports: each controller module 2040 in the chasiss has to FC ports: 0a and 0b (as you already know and wrote yourself). "free" simply means: if nothing else is plugged in there or planned to plug (SAN).

mheinrich

Thanx for your replies!! I just was confused while the cabling to the "B-Ports" of the main-system is the other way around compared to the "A-Cabling": top to bottom and bottom to top.

So, as a matter of fact, my ports are "free" - so I can use the HA-Cabling.

mheinrich

So, finally I cabled all the ports inclusive HA-cabling. I pressed the power-buttons and could see the disks by typing disk show -n from the console. As the first step wanted to test-assign one of the new disk to controller 2 (disk assign 0a.16 -o controller2). That went straightforward but automatically continued with the assigning of all the other unowned disks to the same controller. That must be some kind of auto-assign that must be enabled, but it wasn't that what i wanted. Now, I'm wondering how I can move some of the auto-assigned disks to the other controller? I tried the "remove"-command on one disk, but all what happened, was one disk with the status "failed" instead of "Pool10". Need some help to get the stuff cleaned up! Thanx a lot!!

Greetz, Maze

aborzenkov

Shelf hot plugging is supported and I have done it multiple times.

mheinrich

Thanks for your answer. But that wasnt exactly my question ... 😞

Public