ONTAP Hardware

fas 2040 bottom controller not detecting e0a e0b e0c and e0d

cvhong

Hello,

I am fairly new to the netapp world. I can't get the bottom controller to connect to the network as it cannot find e0a, e0b, e0c, and e0d. The top controller works perfectly fine. It displays e0a, e0b, e0c, and e0d. I tried to replicate the /etc/rc and /etc/hosts from the top controller to the bottom one, but when I use the command ifconfig -a it still does not show e0a, e0b, e0c, e0d. I even looked in the Loader prompt and when I used "show devices" on both controller, I notice the top one showed all the e0- and the bottom one only displayed e0P. Not really sure what why. I even try reseting the entire bottom controller because I saw on another forum that, that may help, but I still get the same result. When I try to perform the setup command in the bottom controller's console. When I am supposed to be prompt this question: 

Please enter the IP address for Network Interface e0a []:

I get this repeated loop message:

No IP address specified. Please set an IP address.

NOTE: Dedicated management ports cannot be used for data

protocols (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, NDMP or Snap*),

and if they are configured they should be on an isolated management LAN.

The default route will use dedicated mgmt ports only as the last resort,

since data protocol traffic will be blocked by default.

I tried for a good 30 minutes to get out of this loop error but no matter what button I pressed nothing would work. My assumption on why I am getting this constant error message is because it cannot detect the e0a port, but I am not sure how to make it detect or the reason why it cannot detect it but the top one was able to without any problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

that's sound like an issue with the hardware. you can maybe try and locate an error in /etc/messages from the time of the boot to maybe narrow it down to a bug.... but this platform is out for a while an i don't remember such..

the only bug i found based on the model is the following. but i assume you rebooted it already ?

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=495277

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GidonMarcus

does it show with with the command sysconfig -a ?

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

cvhong

It does not. But the top controller does show

GidonMarcus

that's sound like an issue with the hardware. you can maybe try and locate an error in /etc/messages from the time of the boot to maybe narrow it down to a bug.... but this platform is out for a while an i don't remember such..

the only bug i found based on the model is the following. but i assume you rebooted it already ?

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=495277

cvhong

I hoping that was not the case that it was a hardware issue. But yeah I did try rebooting it. Thanks for the help. If you do have any other suggestions that I should check on that will be great!

andris

Power cycle that PCM (i.e. pull  it out, wait a minute, put it back in).

If the ethernet ports still don't show up, you have a hardware issue.

cvhong

Turns out it was a hardware issue. I replaced the controller and all the ports are showing up. Thank you for your help!

Public