ONTAP Hardware

old shelf -> new controller

bazmercer

Hello All,

I've migrated out data from a 2050 to a 2240. The 2050 had an attached ds4243 which is now cabled to the 2240. I'm having trouble assigning the disks as they are currently still owned by the old san. Nothing I do seems to work.

san03> priv set advanced

san03*> disk assign 0b.10.17 -s unowned -f
disk assign: Disk 0b.10.17 reservation is not held by this node.
san03*> disk remove_ownership 0b.10.17 -f

disk remove_ownership: Disk 0b.10.17 is not owned by this node.
san03*> disk remove_ownership -f 0b.10.17
disk remove_ownership: Disk 0b.10.17 reservation is not held by this node.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
Disk reassign is possible either in maintenance or in takeover mode only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gavin_meadows

From the cli enter "disk show -v" to get the old sysid of the original filer (listed next to the disks you are trying to import).  Get the new filer's sysid from sysconfig output.

I have only performed this when booted into Maintenance mode but it might work using Priv Set Advanced:

*>disk reassign -s <old sysid> -d <new sysid>

aborzenkov
Disk reassign is possible either in maintenance or in takeover mode only.

unixnation

Hi,

I assume you got this resolved? Did Gavin's solution below work for you?

I'm attempting to do the same on 8.3.1P1; it appears I can run the reassign command in diag mode at the nodeshell but I have responded 'no' to the prompt to continue until I'm sure what will happen.

Cheers,

Steve

bazmercer

Hi,

Yeah we had to drop it into maintenance mode and do the reassign. This was in 7-mode not cdot though, I've not played much with 8.3

Cheers

unixnation

Thanks for the reply!

For completeness in case others come searching, we also were able/had to carry out that same process for one of our HA pairs. It's pretty similar I would imagine - if you're removing FAS2552 or similar nodes from a cluster to convert them to shelves, worth remembering to do this before you pull the controllers and turn them into shelves Smiley Happy

In the case of another HA pair in another cluster which had already had the 2552s converted to shelves, we were albe to remove ownership from the SSDs; for the SAS disks we had to 'power cycle' each disk indvidually by pulling it from the shelf, waiting and then reseating. Tedious but it worked!

Cheers,

Steve

Public