ONTAP Hardware

power failure caused disks errors that have caused Aggregate failure

salah76

We have an old FAS2050 a single head controller, we had a power failure and aftre the power failure we had 8 disks Out of the 19 disks that are assigned to an important aggregate have failed. We cannot boot into ONTAP but still had BMC and console access. I pulled the system log and can see a sysconfig -v output and boot messages. There is a total of 19 drives assigned to the filer and 8 are reporting the same issue. 

On the boot message it reports that 8 of the SAS drive cannot spin up. Below is the output of the boot messages:

Thu Nov 6 10:21:34 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.4 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:34 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.0 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:34 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.14 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:35 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.3 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:35 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.19 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:35 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.12 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:35 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.9 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

Thu Nov 6 10:21:35 GMT [mptsas_intrd:error]: Disk 0c.00.1 has failed to spin up and cannot be used. Please replace it with a new drive.

I can provide further outputs if they would be required.

2 REPLIES 2

Renifa
Hi, After power failure some hard drives refuse to spin up. This can sometimes be due to static friction or stiction for short. Stiction is defined as a condition in which a hard disk drive's read/write heads become stuck to the disk's platters with enough strength to keep the platters from spinning, resulting in hard drive failure. When a machine is turned off, its hard drive's read/write heads park on the platter's landing zones. Under normal circumstances, the heads will lift off the platter when the computer's hard drive is activated and the platters rotate. Stiction typically occurs when a machine has been turned off for long periods of time. Refer KB: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011507 You can try to Attempt to get the disks to spin by a reseat of the disks or call the Netapp support for further assistance. Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

salah76

Thanks a lot for your replay but I caould not acccess the link I got "The article was not found, is restricted to NetApp employees and partners, or is no longer available"

Best regrads

Public