FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Highlighted

recommended network switches

Hello,

what network switches would you use when building storage network for netapp filers (with 10Gbit NICs + 1Gbit nics) with multiple server racks (each rack with its own storage switch (1Gbit)?

I will have to implement such design soon, and I have option to use currently used setup (C6503+2960G) or something else (maybe more optimal for performance)?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Marek

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: recommended network switches

Take a look at Cisco's Nexus line.  These are datacenter switches for pretty much exactly what you are doing (core uplinks for storage/server)

5000 Series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9670/index.html

7000 Series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/index.html

The 6500 is a modular core and or distribution (or collapsed core) layer switch designed to handle L3 routing, etc. (because routing is generally done at distribution layer).  You probably have a true core layer, requiring more advanced L2.

Highlighted

thank you very much for your answer, but I have a question - do these 2 switch types (6500 vs Nexus) differ in network latency/throughput? I mean, does it provide better performance to use Nexus instead of 6500 switches?

Or maybe when we use 10Gbit NICs from filers to C6503 as single VIF - that is a problem? is there any performance difference between single VIF and multi-mode VIF? (i know that more paths = better throughput, but we barely do more than 1.5Gbit from 10gbit pipe)

and I am trying to understand best network design for my new implementation (based on fas3160 heads)...

Highlighted

Nexus should have better performance.

I do not have hands on experience with Nexus, just marketing and talking to peers.  I think you should call your Cisco/NetApp reps and discuss this.  They will surely have a lot more insight.

Regarding your VIF question single or multimode isn't going to matter given what you said about 1.5Gb.  From a design perspective I would think there is always an argument to run in multimode.  Why spend the dollars on interfaces and not use them. 

Highlighted

BTW, I think I was wrong about the 7k Nexus.  It is layer 3.

Highlighted

Hi, and thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Tell me one more thing - do such network switches require any "special" tweaking (apart of Jumbo Frames)?

And i also read that Netapp recommends with Cisco switches to use VSS features, what do these features provide for storage environment?

thanks in advance for your answer...

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums
Public