transorming a fas2240 to a disk shelf for 8020 without interruption
2015-02-25 01:22 PM
a customer has bought a new fas8020 where he has migrated all data from a fas2240 with two shelf, now we have to transform the old storage in two DS2246 shelf that need to be attached to the new storage.
The old system is already updated to Ontap 8.2.1 and there are no data that need to be preserved (all is already moved), so we can transform it in simple shelf (we already have necessary IOM6 modules).
But, reading documentation about this procedure, is required to shutdown the new system to attach the old shelf.
https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1140601/html/GUID-C56586B0-5D62-4450-B953-4C667FB570DE.html or here https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1140601
the problem is that we cannot shutdown the new storage.
there is a procedure to do that?
how erase the old fas2240, convert it and attach it to a live fas8040 without disruption?
thanks for support
1 REPLY 1
Re: transorming a fas2240 to a disk shelf for 8020 without interruption
2015-02-28 06:20 AM
The process require a wipe of the old storage and is simple:
- disable CF on the old storage
- reboot one head and CTRL+C when prompted
- press 5 to enter in maintenance mode
- put offline aggregate
- destroy aggregate with "aggr destroy"
- remove ownership on all disks managed by this head
- halt this controller
- repeat the same process with the second controller
At this point:
- remove controllers and insert the IOM6 modules
- hotadd the shelfs to the new 8020
- if necessary, upgrade IOM/ACP/Disk firmware