ONTAP Hardware

v-series / FAS8200 interoperability

HYPERHYPO

Hello

I have an  interop question i'm not getting to bottom of via the matrix tool.

It involves a V-series migration  (V3240/3270s) curently using   EMC VMAX  as backend FC LUN providers, in a mixed SAN  that includes  a general

mix of AIX, ESX and MS hosts , Brocade  DCX and 5300 switches,  including  virtual requirements.

Connectivity on replacement NetApp 8200 is FC biased on boards 1 and 2 and onboard..to allow  for connections to multiple san circuits ,  different host  types. 

So very limited onboard  IP connectivity. 

Hence need to retain V-series function ...

So, question is , will V-series work with 8200 backend to continue to provide CIFS / NFS access.?

I could only find implication that NetApp E-series backends suitable via the  Matrix Tool...hope that's not the  case..

3 REPLIES 3

GidonMarcus

hi

The 8200 cannot sit behind the V3200.

ONTAP actually has hardcoded panic excpetion that prevents it. it detects it as target-intiatior loop (i tried to do it once in a lab with ONTAP 8.1 or 8.2 7-mode).

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=311121   - the panic string likely correlate to that bug. i don't have it in hand to cross check.

just to clarify (as it might not be ovieues) you know that you are allowed to attached shelf to the V-series directly. right?

G

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

GidonMarcus

actually re-reading the bug description is not that exact one. but trust-me it will still cause a panic :-).

they might changed it in Cdot to have forginlun import working. but even if so. it will still be unsupported as a V-series backend

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

HYPERHYPO

Thanks G for your input

Yes its a 7mode 8.2.3P6 V3240/V3270 against ( i believe) cmode 9.3 on the 8200.

Your asked about attaching  shelves to existing V-series ...our client has bought an 8200 to act as a target for a mixed bag which includes the V-series hosts ...so only available shelves ..5 of them..are on the 8200.

So not even worth zoning up to attempt a syncmirror migration then... i had done this from one era VMAX 40K to a later 450AF and  it worked fine ... i appreciated that i couldn't find any reference to any NetApp backend other than E-series , but perhaps naively   thinking that i could make up sets of same sized LUNS on the 8200, zone them against the V-series initiators and syncmirror from VMAX to 8200.

Wishful  thinking perhaps ....

john

Public