Legacy Product Discussions

NetApp S550 Parity Error System Halted

teodan2000

Hi,

I have an issue when trying to boot the system. My system with the problem is an NetApp S550 with 6x500GB HDD RAID 5 and 2 GB RAM. Now any time when trying to boot this system I get this error Parity Error System Halted, any ideas what may be the problem ? I must say that I am a novice into this storage systems, so any suggestions what I should do will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

datamanaged

Hi Dan,

I would say that the error is most likely caused by a hardware error in memory or CPU (more likely memory). The system is detecting an incorrect parity on some block of data and is preventing startup so as to protect from in-memory data corruption. As to what you should do, if you have any service or warranty contracts on the system, contact support. If not, you will either need to procure one (if this is a production critical system I would highly recommend it), or diagnose the system the same way you would a server, pull one stick of memory out, see if it will boot, etc etc.

If anyone else has a better suggestion please chime in

Best Regards,

Adam S.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

datamanaged

Hi Dan,

I would say that the error is most likely caused by a hardware error in memory or CPU (more likely memory). The system is detecting an incorrect parity on some block of data and is preventing startup so as to protect from in-memory data corruption. As to what you should do, if you have any service or warranty contracts on the system, contact support. If not, you will either need to procure one (if this is a production critical system I would highly recommend it), or diagnose the system the same way you would a server, pull one stick of memory out, see if it will boot, etc etc.

If anyone else has a better suggestion please chime in

Best Regards,

Adam S.

teodan2000

Hi Adam,

Yes you were right its hardware, the problem is that one of  DIMM slot was faulty but not the memory RAM slot, I tested the memory RAM on other machine and was fine. I solved the problem by removing the RAM from the faulty DIMM and after that everything else went just fine. Thank you so much for the time of your replay its was prompt and helpful.

Happy Holidays !

Best regards,

Dan

datamanaged

Hi Dan,

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forums btw .

Best Regards and Christmas wishes,

Adam S.

Public