Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

SMVI backup consistency

igor

Hello everyone!

My client has vSphere environment set up where they run 2008 VMs, mostly with transactional applications such as MS SQL and Exchange. In that respect, they would do best to rely on application-consistent backups. I'm currently studying backup consistency using SMVI and I came across the following text in SMVI Best Practices document:

Since  SMVI  (with  VMware  snapshots  turned  on)  relies  on  VMware  quiescing  of  virtual  machines  when  creating  backups,  it  is  able  to  provide  application-consistent  backup  through  VMware  VSS requester/provider  components  for  the  applications running  inside  the  virtual  machines.  In  fact,  all  SMVI backups  with  VMware  snapshots  turned  on  are  “application-consistent.”  The  limitations  of  this  application-consistent  backup  methodology  are  explained  in  the “Application-Consistent  Recovery”  section  of  this  document. 

Note:  For  VMs  running  Windows  Server  2003  as  the  guest  operating  system,  the  VSS  snapshots  are application  consistent.  For  VMs  running  Windows  Server  2008  and  Windows  Vista  the  snapshots  are  file system consistent. For more information refer to  http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_vcb_15_u1_admin_guide.pdf

I'm a bit of a noob on SMVI-VSS relations and I'm confused by this...

Are all SMVI backups indeed "application-consistent" (why the quotes?) - or just that of 2003 VMs running VSS aware applications?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Public