NetApp SaaS Backup

Highlighted

How-TO: Automate the NetApp Tasks via BASH SHELL Script

Dear Team,

I would like to, ""Automate my daily NetApp Tasks (DB Backup execution, Space Usage monitoring & Bringing the NetApp Filer UP / Down at regular intervals) via BASH SHELL Script (.sh)"". 

Is there any external Linux box is required & linked to the NetApp box to perform this task, if so let me know how I can achieve setting up this?.

Kindly, let me know:

a) How-TO: Create & Execute any BASH SHELL Script (.sh) in a NetApp box. And, change the permission for them?.

b) Also, I would like to know "How-TO: Schedule any BASH SHELL Script (.sh) inside the NetApp box to perform my daily sequence activity (EX: Genearating, a daily Health Check Report of my NetApp box (to identify the status of my LUN, Storage Pools and their Health, Volumes)".

c) Hope, "rdfile & wrfile"will be able to perform the read a file and write a file on the NetApp box. But, the command is missing in my box. Kindly, let me know why & How-TO: fix / make it work?.

d) Also, please let me know the best way to install any missing package / command in a NetApp box. I tried "n" ways nothing worked.

Any, help appreciated on these above queries are highly appreciated !!!!.

Thanks,

KM (Mail ID: mklee786@gmail.com / WhatsApp No.: 9442619352).

2 REPLIES

Re: How-TO: Automate the NetApp Tasks via BASH SHELL Script

Hi

NetApp uses proprietary and closed OS called ONTAP. the OS is locked-down to only run NetApp built-in commands.

Rdfile and Wrfile are commands available in Advanced / Diagnostic mode on the nodes, ad they mainly available for troubleshooting and edit of local config files.

scripts as such should be run from external box. NetApp provide multiple SDK's and developer / scripting tools to the individual products. as well as a backup suite, monitoring tools and automation tools that you can explore and may help you with your tasks.

Gidi

Re: How-TO: Automate the NetApp Tasks via BASH SHELL Script

Gidi,

1. Below is the errro I got when I try to use "wrfile / rdfile in netapp". Kindly, advise howto proceed here?. 

<<

METRO-CLUSTER-01::> set -privilege admin

METRO-CLUSTER-01::> wrf

Error: "wrf" is not a recognized command
METRO-CLUSTER-01::> rdf

Error: "rdf" is not a recognized command
METRO-CLUSTER-01::> set -privilege advanced

Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use them only when directed to do so by NetApp personnel.
Do you want to continue? {y|n}: y

METRO-CLUSTER-01::*> wrf

METRO-CLUSTER-01::*> rdf

METRO-CLUSTER-01::*> set -privilege diagnostic

Warning: These diagnostic commands are for use by NetApp personnel only.
Do you want to continue? {y|n}: y

METRO-CLUSTER-01::*> wrf

METRO-CLUSTER-01::*> rdf

>>

2. My actual need is to generate and send a "Health Check Report" va mail at the end of my  work day on daily basis. How to achiveve this by a Linux box and a NetApp, how to achieve this?. 

3. Please, get me more on this, Per my knowledge: SANSurfer, fdm (Fabri Disk Management), HP OneView, NetApp Manageability (NM) cn be used to achieve this. Please. correct me and elaborate more on this. 

<<

scripts as such should be run from external box. NetApp provide multiple SDK's and developer / scripting tools to the individual products. as well as a backup suite, monitoring tools and automation tools that you can explore and may help you with your tasks.

>>

Thanks,

KM

Forums