Network and Storage Protocols

Best practice & Step by step installation procedure

support_3

hi

I need a best practice and installation guide for the below config.

3 REPLIES 3

JRAYKOWSKI

Hello,

Having just finished deploying a FAS-2240 I am will to offer any assistance needed.  There are volumes of information out there however my first question what is the planned use for the system?  For example we are using our for CIFS File Share (Windows Shares) and Fiber Channel LUNs for VMware.  We also have implemented a flash pool so that will affect how you assign disks and great aggregates.

Quickly, when implementing CIFS shares we had to consider networking capabilities and restraints.  We only have four 1Gb ports and have to serve out shares and perform backups.  Our approach was to create one VIF using e0a and e0b to serve CIFS Shares and then create a second VIF using e0c and e0d to support NDMP backups Using Backup Exec.  It has taken me a little over a 5 week to go from test to partial production use.

A little more information would truly help.

Jim

ALEXJILITSKY

As mentioned by Jim, it is crucial to understand the uses for the system before giving away any advice.

What I am sure of, is that deploying a system with no hot spare disks, especially in a RAID-4 configuration rather than RAID-DP, is never recommended for prodcution environments.

JRAYKOWSKI

Here is my final production config.  All drive configuration are RAID-DP.

Jim

FAS-2240 in a HA Pair

PCM-1 (Primary Node)

aggr0 - 3 SAS Disks and 1 spare supporting rg0

rg0 -  SAS Disks  supporting vol0

vol0 - Data OnTap and Boot Volume

fp_aggr - 16 SAS Disks and 1 spare plus 5 SSD Disks and 1 spare

rg0 - SAS Disks supporting Volumes View_Dedicated, View_Linked, View_Templates, vol_vm_1, and vol_home

rg1 - SSD Disks supporting the Flash Pool capability

e0a and e0b assigned to VIF1 on the production network supporting CIFS Shares partnered to VIF2

e0c and e0d assigned to VIF3 on the backup network support CIFS backups to Backup Exec  partnered to VIF4

e0m on the management network partnered to PCM-2 e0m

e0p on the management network

FC

1a and 1b - Connected to dual Cisco MDS-9124 FC Switches presenting LUNs View_Dedicated, View_Linked, View_Templates, vol_vm_1

CIFS -  using VIF1 and presenting vol_home

PCM-2 (Secondary Node)

aggr0 - 3 SAS Disks and 1 spare supporting rg0

rg0 -  SAS Disks supporting vol0

vol0 - Data OnTap and Boot Volume

e0a and e0b assigned to VIF2 on the production network supporting CIFS Shares  partnered to VIF1

e0c and e0d assigned to VIF4 on the backup network support CIFS backups to Backup Exec  partnered to VIF3

e0m on the management network  partnered to PCM-1 e0m

e0p on the management network

FC

1a and 1b - Connected to dual Cisco MDS-9124 FC Switches

CIFS -  using VIF2

Public