Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS Migrations FAS250 to FAS2240

JOHANNESWOLF

Hi in the next month i have to migrate a few NetApp new FAS2240 Systems.

The old ones are FAS250 Machines.

Ma Plan is to use Snapmirror.

Only CIFS is used, noother Data.

Here my Plan, it would be great if you have another ideas or suggestions.

First Step is to migrate the CIFS Data to the new System using Snapmirror.

(For this is give the new System a temp IP-Adress and will give the new system the old one at the End)

2. Copy the Cifs Shares from old System. -> Using rdfile/etc/cifsconfig_share.bak ?????

3. Cifs Terminate on old System -> Starting Downtime

4. snapmirror release / quiesce / break -> is this right?

5. Take the old System offline/halt -> Ifconfig change IP on new system to the old system-ip

6. Cifs setup on the new system

7. Cifs Share Import on new system -> is this possible?

8. Test / DNS 

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Joe

1 REPLY 1

haenggi

Hello Joe

My comments inline:

2. Copy the Cifs Shares from old System. -> Using rdfile/etc/cifsconfig_share.bak ?????

I prefere to use RMTshare to export the shares and reimport after CIFS Setup. But it should be possible like this as well.

With rdfile you just print out the file onto your SSH Client and you have to copy paste it into a textfile on your client. Therefore make sure you read out /etc/cifsconfig_shares.cfg.

3. Cifs Terminate on old System -> Starting Downtime

4. snapmirror release / quiesce / break -> is this right?

Don't forget to do the snapmirror update first 😉 If you use volume snapmirror the quiesce is not necessary

5. Take the old System offline/halt -> Ifconfig change IP on new system to the old system-ip

6. Cifs setup on the new system

If you having trouble with adding the system into Active Directory, try to delete the Computer Account in AD. I had once an issue with an existing Account during a migration.

7. Cifs Share Import on new system -> is this possible?

Terminate CIFS, past the content into the cifsconfig_shares.cfg file on the new system and restart cifs.

8. Test / DNS

Do this already before CIFS Setup otherwise you can get problems with adding the system into AD and don't forget to check the date and time (timeserver settings) before the CIFS Setup too.

Good Luck

Michael

Public