Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS, multiple shares in one qtree, and quotas

adamgross

I have just relocated some file shares onto our NetApp and after the fact found that one of the 25 or so shares needs to have a quota enforced. My understanding is that quotas can only be applied at the root of the volume/qtree. I haven't been able to find any different or figure out how to do what I'm trying to do. It looks like my only option is to create a new volume and move the data from the one share that needs quotas into that volume and point the CIFS to the new location. Does that sound about right or does anyone have a trick? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kevinp

Adam,

True – quotas can be applied at the qtree level (the q in qtree is for ‘quota tree’ from its initial purpose years ago).

So if it’s the only one within the data set that you want to have quota applied, yes it will have to move into a new qtree, possibly by itself.

If you want it linked or joined with the rest of the directory structure you already have (ie: if it would be nice to have it still placed in the same directory structure you already have), then you can take advantage of symlinks. Search “symlink” in the communities for a picture of what they are, can do, and how to implement.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kevinp

Adam,

True – quotas can be applied at the qtree level (the q in qtree is for ‘quota tree’ from its initial purpose years ago).

So if it’s the only one within the data set that you want to have quota applied, yes it will have to move into a new qtree, possibly by itself.

If you want it linked or joined with the rest of the directory structure you already have (ie: if it would be nice to have it still placed in the same directory structure you already have), then you can take advantage of symlinks. Search “symlink” in the communities for a picture of what they are, can do, and how to implement.

adamgross

I'm familiar with symlinks, but can you apply a quota to one and not the rest of the volume? I searched "symlink quota" and rolled snake eyes.

kevinp

No, sorry, can't apply quota to symlink. I meant to add in the symlink talk only if you wanted to maintain the directory structure, ie: if you users didn't want to do away with an existing directory structure. For the quota part you're looking for, quota can only be applied at the qtree level. You could create a symlink in your existing directory structure pointing to the new qtree which would have the quota.

/vol/new_qtree <- your newly created qtree with quota applied

/vol/existing_qtree/dir1/dir2/dir3/symlink => /vol/new_qtree

Does that help? I maybe misunderstand your goal.

adamgross

Sounds like the solution is a separate volume for this data. That does help and I thank you Kevin.

kevinp

You're welcome Adam..

You can still keep all the data in the same existing volume if you like. Just need a new qtree within that volume....you could have the 2 different qtree's (one quota'd, one not).

TONYSAM75

i tried to enable user quota on 2 different QTrees but on same volume and it gave me an error "Error: quota: skipping new definition for *".

ANDYNOWICKI

I have exactly the same Error. Isn't there a possibility to enable quota on more than one qtree in the same volume?

TONYSAM75

yes, as i opened a ticket with support and "quota off" then "quota on" on same volume has solved it.

Or as i do admin through OnSymstem Manager, Quota status then "disable" and "enable".

Building quota entries will take little while and it varies depending on number of users and qtrees on same volume.

Hope this helped by a bit...

enriquesagum

This helped my issue on quote error and warning..

shaunjurr

Hi,

You are going to need to include the relevant parts of /etc/quotas.  This looks like an error in your quotas file.  You can find more information in the manpage or the system documentation.

ANDYNOWICKI

Hi,

my /etc/quotas is quite simple:

#Auto-generated by setup Mon Mar  5 07:40:50 GMT 2012

*    user@/vol/Home_Dir    10485760K    -    8912896K    8912896K    -

/vol/FileServer/Frosta    tree    943718400K    -    880803840K    880803840K    -

/vol/FileServer/General    tree    524288000K    -    471859200K    471859200K    -

The third entry (qtree called General) and next new entries generate an Error: quota: skipping new definition for /vol/FileServer/General.

Quota status for volumen FileServer are on.

Public