Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS, multiple shares in one qtree, and quotas

adamgross

I have just relocated some file shares onto our NetApp and after the fact found that one of the 25 or so shares needs to have a quota enforced. My understanding is that quotas can only be applied at the root of the volume/qtree. I haven't been able to find any different or figure out how to do what I'm trying to do. It looks like my only option is to create a new volume and move the data from the one share that needs quotas into that volume and point the CIFS to the new location. Does that sound about right or does anyone have a trick? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kevinp

Adam,

True – quotas can be applied at the qtree level (the q in qtree is for ‘quota tree’ from its initial purpose years ago).

So if it’s the only one within the data set that you want to have quota applied, yes it will have to move into a new qtree, possibly by itself.

If you want it linked or joined with the rest of the directory structure you already have (ie: if it would be nice to have it still placed in the same directory structure you already have), then you can take advantage of symlinks. Search “symlink” in the communities for a picture of what they are, can do, and how to implement.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Public