Network Storage Protocols Discussions

Re: CIFS vFiler Migration to Cluster Mode

For the record if anyone searches this topic, that worked great!  Share definitions are even copied over, which I've not seen documented anywhere - apparently this capability was added in a recent revision of the 7MTT.

Just curious to know if you have any updates to share on this topic, i'm in the same process of migrating CIFS share from 7 mode to clustermode and would like to pick your brain on this process.

What do you want to know?  I am about to do our first migration hopefully later this week.

Hi THOMAS i will migrate some vfiler units with 7mtt 2.0 to cdot 8.3 and i want to preserve the same cifs server name. Finally what has been the steps you made to solve it?

Thanks

Here is what worked for us:

Assign a temporary IP to the SVM.

Run the 7MTT to replicate the data.  (NOTE: We didn't include the option to transition the IP address because the 7MTT includes default settings for LIFs we didn't like).

When you are ready to cutover, re-run cifs setup on the SOURCE system and rename the CIFS Server to a temporary name (be sure you already had a DNS entry created for the temporary name).

Run the cutover commands on the 7MTT.

After cutover, create the permanent LIF manually for the SVM (if you had the 7MTT do this then you don't need to do it manually).

If everything is working, decommission the vFiler with the temporary name on the source system, and remove the LIF with the temporary IP on the SVM.

Did you clear the credential cache, I saw that as a required step opn the source vFiler when you give it the temporary/new name, maybe its not always needed ot just generates erors in logs.  Just interersted to know if you did that step.

John,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with clearing the credentials cache. We migrated three CIFS servers and didn't have to do that. Doesn't mean we might have needed to in certain circumstances.

Did you create original CIFS server name on SVM before cutover(along with original DNS entry)

Run the 7MTT to replicate the data.  (NOTE: We didn't include the option to transition the IP address because the 7MTT includes default settings for LIFs we didn't like).

When you are ready to cutover, re-run cifs setup on the SOURCE system and rename the CIFS Server to a temporary name (be sure you already had a DNS entry created for the temporary name).

**Create original CIFS server identity on SVM before cutover--Is that right ?

Run the cutover commands on the 7MTT.

After cutover, create the permanent LIF manually for the SVM (if you had the 7MTT do this then you don't need to do it manually).

If everything is working, decommission the vFiler with the temporary name on the source system, and remove the LIF with the temporary IP on the SVM.

No - at cutover we changed the existing CIFS Server on 7-mode to a temporary name, then ran CIFS Setup on the SVM and used the original CIFS Server name then ran cutover. Strange sequence but it worked mutiple times. I wondered if it was right myself! Documentation was very incomplete. Thankfully I had a test system and some resources to ask and was able to figure it out.

Thanks! and i believe no DNS changes was required ? And are the changes at 'pre-cutover' or 'Storage cutover' phase of 7mtt?

Forums